Thread: Love Vortex scopes and Remington bolt guns

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Love Vortex scopes and Remington bolt guns

We had a break in the rain today and there was no wind so I hit the range to test out a friends gun I mounted a scope on and my own 700. This is a story of 2 great Vortex scopes. My gun started life as a 20 inch Remington much like my friends. I had an Obermeyer barrel installed and the action and bolt work done. The gun was accuracy but I had issues with feeding so after trying numerious fixes I finally tried an Accuracy International Stock and the feeding issue went away. I still had issues with extraction so I sent the bolt off and had the extractor tweaked and a new bolt knob put on. Now the gun runs perfect and shoots great. Its proving to be a ½ moa rifle. The Scope is awesome. I love the clarity of the Razor. It’s a heavy scope but it fits this build perfect.

Now my friends gun he wanted a lighter but still accurate plinking and hunting rifle. I recommend the Remington 700 with the 20 inch barrel. All the guns I have tried like this shoot very well from the factory and his was no exception averaging .57 moa for 4 3 shot groups once I had it zeroed. I would have done 5 shot groups but I was getting low on ammo. This rifle is a light and handy package for as accurate as it is. I loved the Vortex 2.5-10 FFP MRAD scope he bought so much I ordered one for myself. Nice clear glass and its compact and light weight. The reticle is easy to use. I think this scope is perfect for rifles like this or semi auto .308’s or .223’s.
    This is currently my accuracy load. I know 168’s are not good for super long range but I can only shoot to 400 yards locally.
    42 grains of N140, Federal Brass (trimmed and chamfered), CCI BR primers, 168 grain Sierra Match King.
    Temperature 61 degrees
    Accuracy for 3 5 shot groups was .51
    Velocity Avg 2623
    Spread 53
    SD 16
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post

We had a break in the rain today and there was no wind so I hit the range to test out a friends gun I mounted a scope on and my own 700. This is a story of 2 great Vortex scopes. My gun started life as a 20 inch Remington much like my friends. I had an Obermeyer barrel installed and the action and bolt work done. The gun was accuracy but I had issues with feeding so after trying numerious fixes I finally tried an Accuracy International Stock and the feeding issue went away. I still had issues with extraction so I sent the bolt off and had the extractor tweaked and a new bolt knob put on. Now the gun runs perfect and shoots great. Its proving to be a ½ moa rifle. The Scope is awesome. I love the clarity of the Razor. It’s a heavy scope but it fits this build perfect.
    Obermeyer barreled 700...Love it. Apparently so does your pet load.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I can only shoot to 400 yards locally.
    Alaska...Biggest state in the Union, Ranked 50th in population density. I can understand the why's but the concept still make me chuckle incredulously.

Great shooting and beautiful land. Enjoyed the range report.

Feedback Score
    heh, i was going to say the same thing. heck, i can see a mile in the top pic. you just have to practice high angle shooting. i'd really love to shoot in alaska some day.

but great shooting and awesome gun and scope! the glass in the razors is fantastic. I just sold my S&B 5-25ss and replaced them with the vortex gen2 4.5-27s. hoping they live up to the hype
    those AICS are pretty sweet too.

Feedback Score
    Agreed. I have a 5-20HDMR on a Crescent Customs .308 & a 2.5-10FFP on my 18in Larue Stealth.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Pat, does the new barrel have a different hand load preference? I have a pile of once-fired brass (from Federal GM 168 factory loads) that I want to reload with 168 SMK. Have you had better results with N140 vs. IMR 4064?

Thanks!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Very nice rig. I'm a big fan of the Remmy. Never owned a Vortex, hear great stuff. Congrats on the gun.
    Nice pics.

Every gun in Alaska is a Bear gun!
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Pat, does the new barrel have a different hand load preference? I have a pile of once-fired brass (from Federal GM 168 factory loads) that I want to reload with 168 SMK. Have you had better results with N140 vs. IMR 4064?

Thanks!
    I have some 4064 just have not had time to load it yet. Sorry I can't help more when I do load it I will post the results. That N140 load has shot well in every gun I have tried it in and my friends guns as well.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Beautiful rifle and shooting. Is the rebarrel a 1:10 twist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yep 1 10
    Shot great today.

I was ringing steel out to 400 yards including a sniper target I have with a T shaped head box that is about 2 inches tall at the talest part and 4 inches long.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor