Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accuracy problem.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Accuracy problem.

http://i.imgur.com/8K3ss0c.jpg

This is the AR I built for long range. I'm anticipating building a 20" AR further down the road that will wear this Leupold scope, and this one will wear a lower magnification optic.

This is what it has on it (copy/paste):
    Rainier Arms upper and lower
    Rainier Arms Match 16" Mid-Length Barrel (.223 Wylde with 1in8 twist)
    Vortex Flash Hider
    Centurion Modular Rail
    Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14x40 sitting in a Larue LT-104
    Magpul UBR
    BCM Charging handle Mod4 and pistol grip Mod1
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger
    Harris LM-S Bipod

Here is where the problem comes in. It won't group for shit. I'm lucky if I get 7 MOA out of it at 100 yards. I've tried 100 rounds of my friends reloads, LC M855, Fiocchi Match, Wolf Gold, and a Winchester White Box. They all shoot like shit. I don't think it's me, my friend has a similar rifle, but with a GI trigger, and I group sub MOA with his rifle... with next to no trigger time behind it. Hell, I get better results with my Ruger American Rimfire.

I assembled this rifle from scratch and I'm confident that the barrel nut is on right and the scope is torqued properly. All witness marks are still aligned. I had some clearance issues with the gas block and the CMR rail, but I fixed it and have ~2mm of space, which should be plenty.

Anything I can start checking/trying before I disassemble this thing and try it again? I'd expect much better results from this barrel.
    Last edited by netchemica; 08-11-14 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you seriously want to have it diagnosed, you can send the upper to me. I can do a safety inspection, test fire, diagnostic, and corrective action; all recorded.

Sincerely, let me know.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you seriously want to have it diagnosed, you can send the upper to me. I can do a safety inspection, test fire, diagnostic, and corrective action; all recorded.

Sincerely, let me know.
    PM sent

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much clearance does your gas block have inside the handguard with the bipod attached? Could be shadows but it looks like you might have a barrel harmonics issue.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Some good suggestions.

Make sure your LaRue mount is not partly on the rail and partly on the upper. I always want that to work but.... nope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Some good suggestions.

Make sure your LaRue mount is not partly on the rail and partly on the upper. I always want that to work but.... nope.
    I was going to ask about your scope mount.

I had a larue SPR. My gun was spraying them too. I torqued down the mount so tight I could hardly close the levers and have to use the sling to undo them. That is what it took to stop it moving around. I removed it and replaced it with a fixed mount.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

Sincerely, let me know.
    This is one of the most awesome things I've seen here on M4C in a while. Nice move Jack.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    This is one of the most awesome things I've seen here on M4C in a while. Nice move Jack.
    It's sacrifices like this by members with serious real world knowledge (like Jack) that truly adds to this community.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Tag to follow
    Certified AR Armorer among many other things.
    Semper Paratus Arms - 2014

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryantx23 View Post
    Tag to follow

I just finished installing a CMR, and the Noveske low profile gas block was definitely contacting the rail. I had to take a few whacks at it until it looked good, and it still might not have enough clearance. It's definitely a finicky rail when it comes to gas blocks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast