Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 showdown- Saker vs SOCOM RC (sorry guys I have to ask..)

Feedback Score
    Saker is rated for 7", (normal) sf is for 10". Plus saker is rated for full auto from what I recall, sf isn't but 'should be ok' best but not warrantied for it, (from memory, double check, it's been around a year since I researched for my purchase)

And now that Noveske partnered with silencerco, they should be around for a while

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Plus saker is rated for full auto from what I recall, sf isn't but 'should be ok' best but not warrantied for it, (from memory, double check, it's been around a year since I researched for my purchase)

And now that Noveske partnered with silencerco, they should be around for a while
    SOCOM is definitely full auto rated- do you really think Special Forces would adopt a can that wasn't?

But I would agree that Silencerco is going to be around for awhile, and the Saker is one of the most popular 5.56 cans out there
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    The only part of that which would suggest so to me is the stellite baffle setup, but it's not as though anybody is under the impression that the SF SOCOM cans are dainty flowers. The extra weight of the Saker might be exactly that...
    Or is the extra weight ( 1oz ) due to the saker being 1/2" longer than the SF?

Saker is rated for 7", (normal) sf is for 10".
    Valid point. However, maybe SF didnt bother testing/rating the SOCOM for 7" 556 weapons.... because nobody in gov or le circles would use such a thing
    Last edited by BigLarge; 08-19-14 at 01:33.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I have both the saker and a full-size socom as well as the socom mini, all dedicated 5.56. I tried the saker on my 11.5" but moved it to the 7.5" just because it's warrantied for that short. If sound reduction is not as important, take a look at the socom mini. It's what I ended up with on my 11.5".

I don't think the RC (and especially the mini) are "hearing safe". I don't look at them as suppressors... more like "concussion diffusers", if that makes sense. I also can't see any difference in flash reduction using the RC vs the mini, but my testing on that aspect were very limited.

FWIW - I have another 11.5" with an older ops inc m4-s can. shorter and lighter than even the surefire mini and, imho, a better can. allen engineering will make you one if you want...
    Are you (and/or others) under the impression that the full-size SOCOM is merely a "concussion diffuser"?
    Last edited by scooter22; 08-19-14 at 01:46.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Or is the extra weight ( 1oz ) due to the saker being 1/2" longer than the SF?

Valid point. However, maybe SF didnt bother testing/rating the SOCOM for 7" 556 weapons.... because nobody in gov or le circles would use such a thing
    SOCOM SB (short barrel) is rated down to 7" not the RC, so the issue has been addressed by Surefire.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Are you (and/or others) under the impression that the full-size SOCOM is merely a "concussion diffuser"?
    Pretty much any can on an 11.5" SBR is still going to be loud. I personally don't really follow the 140db rule. People/platforms/circumstances vary too much for there to be one holy grail number that equals quiet. In my subjective experience, the difference between the RC and mini was definitely noticeable, but negligible. On an SBR neither suppressor to me was "quiet" so I shifted my focus to other points, mainly length and weight.

Again, these are MY experiences and I see them as "concussion diffusers". I am not an expert and did NOT sleep at a Holiday Inn last night... YMMV...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    SOCOM SB (short barrel) is rated down to 7" not the RC, so the issue has been addressed by Surefire.
    Interesting, I was under the impression the only difference between the SB and RC was bore diameter.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Interesting, I was under the impression the only difference between the SB and RC was bore diameter.
    I'm not sure if that is the only difference but it is certainly a difference between the SB vs. RC. SB = Short Barrel (as in less than 10", but not less than 7"), RC= Rifle/Carbine, Mini (self explanatory), MG= Machine Gun. RC is good all the way down to 10" so it would include the 10.5/10.3 barrels.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Saker is rated for 7", (normal) sf is for 10". Plus saker is rated for full auto from what I recall, sf isn't but 'should be ok' best but not warrantied for it, (from memory, double check, it's been around a year since I researched for my purchase)

That is meaningless information.

Manufacturer's published silenecer data is biased and worthless

The surefire socom has been proven in mil tests and by private shooters to have the least POI shift and is a heavy duty silencer.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    We have two versions of the same suppressor. The SOCOM556-RC and the SOCOM556-SB. The only difference is the bore size. Under 10" in a barrel bullet stability becomes a issue so we opened up the bore a little to give a little room if or when a bullet just uncorks unstable. Both can easily handle the pressure of a 7" barrel and FA. No one warranties for bullet strikes and wanted to help customers with those ultra short barrels.
    Garin Lee
    SureFire Suppressor Division
    Garin@SureFire.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast