Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noveske Barrel

Feedback Score

Noveske Barrel

Hi:

I need some advice from people familiar with reloading for Noveske barrels. I just put together a 16" 556 Mod 0 upper. It shoots MOA with 62gr Fusion MSR and clocks 2830 FPS.

The problem is my handloads. I used up a pound of precious Varget to realize this upper likes the loads hot. For example, with the 64gr Nosler BSB I'm hitting the sweet spot beginning with 26.5grs and 2850 FPS. With 77gr Nosler's the sweet spot starts at 24.5grs and it's not even hitting 2600 FPS. I'm up to 25.3grs with 69SMK and it still shoots like shit with a huge SD. I'm using weight sorted LC with #41 primers and hand weighing each charge, checking it twice. No pressure signs. I'm going to shoot 26.9grs with the 64's tomorrow to see if I can get the group tighter. It's about MOA at 6.5-26.7grs.

Is that what you see in yours, that it needs more powder than usual?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Be aware that you will typically see multiple nodes of accuracy in a ladder type load development. My bet is if you keep moving up from 24.5 w/ the 77s - you'll hit another accuracy node at a higher velocity. Also keep in mind that one of the issues w/ Varget is that it varies lot to lot and over the years it has required shooters to bump up their loads to keep the velocities up. This was a huge issue with the Palma team a few years back. Some loads had to be bumped 2 full grains. Try Rel15, Tac or H332 and see what you get.
    Last edited by opsoff1; 08-14-14 at 17:11.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also - I am in the middle of refining loads for a Noveske bbl on my NM rifle - shooting a 3 x 600 on Sunday. My Noveske is a 7.5t that I chambered and a curious aspect was that I had to use a .2175 pilot. This is considered a "tight" bore. A Douglas or CLE bbl will generally take a .2185 - .2190 pilot. Tight bores generally give you a bit more velocity with less powder. Right now I am running 24.0 Rel 15 behind 80SMK's. Velocity is running 2753 avg w/ SD's in the high 8's ES for 20 rds runs in the low 20's. FWIW.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your suggestions. I bumped up the charges and the 69SMK got down to SD 8 with 25.7grs of Varget and the 77 is getting better with SD 19 at 24.9grs. I'm gonna try 25.1 and 25.3 if the bullet nose stays intact. These bullets are soft and swage into the seater stem.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opsoff1 View Post
    Try Rel15, Tac or H332 and see what you get.
    XBR 8208 is also got a better metering and bulk density than Varget. There's many easier choices than Varget for most .223 bullets.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Varget is a great powder, but is not very user-friendly, especially for bulk loading. There are much better options like XBR and H322.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
    ...and it still shoots like shit with a huge SD. I'm using weight sorted LC with #41 primers...
    Based off of my personal experience, I'd ditch the #41s & save them for blaster ammo with ball powder. I've heard other people using them without issue but I just think there's better primer options out there for precision ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Based off of my personal experience, I'd ditch the #41s & save them for blaster ammo with ball powder.
    Yep. I'd run them for Defense stuff where great accuracy isn't the top priority. But for target shooting, I subscribe to German Salazar's approach to having the mildest primer that will reliably work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All of my NM 600yd ammo - is loaded using LC brass and M41 (GI) primers. I just shot a 600 yd match on Sunday and the rifle / ammo held X ring elevation at 600 with irons. I have never ever used / won't waste the time playing with primers for 600 yd stuff. Same same for in close. Standard primers or whatever is in the brass. My 600 yd ammo routinely posts single digit SD's. I do go to a BR primer for 1K work though.
    opsoff

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opsoff1 View Post
    All of my NM 600yd ammo - is loaded using LC brass and M41 (GI) primers. <snip>
    My 600 yd ammo routinely posts single digit SD's. I do go to a BR primer for 1K work though.
    What powder do you like for that ammo?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast