Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors & flash?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Suppressors & flash?

I always read about guys running muzzle brakes on their suppressors and it had me curious, does it make a difference in flash coming out of the can if you run a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider?

I don't want fireballs coming out of the end of the can and suppressed shooting for me will only be some of the time. I generally prefer flash hiders by a large margin over muzzle brake, however I'd like to balance keeping the cans in good shape with overall performance. Rifle cans I'm waiting on stamps include SOCOM RC (11.5 AR use) & Mini 556 (14.5 & 16 AR use), Saker 762 (for dedicated .300 Blkout use) and I intend to buy SOCOM mini 762 (for 16" .308 use) and possible Saker 556 use (if i get it, 10" SCAR CQC use).

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    My understanding is that once you put the suppressor on, it really doesn't matter what your MD is as they will all more or less act the same. The difference is that a break can act as a sacrificial baffle and therefore protect the suppressor. Of course things change when shooting unsuppressed. I remember Pannone saying that contrary to what a lot of people think, you will have intermittent fireballs coming from a can as well so that's something to keep in mind.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    My understanding is that once you put the suppressor on, it really doesn't matter what your MD is as they will all more or less act the same. The difference is that a break can act as a sacrificial baffle and therefore protect the suppressor. Of course things change when shooting unsuppressed. I remember Pannone saying that contrary to what a lot of people think, you will have intermittent fireballs coming from a can as well so that's something to keep in mind.
    Well I have zero experience shooting suppressed but several suppressors with form 4s and a couple with form 3s being processed so I will be shooting suppressed at some point next year. I'm just trying to plan appropriately regarding which muzzle devices I purchase.

Feedback Score
    The amount of flash you get will be based on the specific can, barrel length, and ammo combination... the muzzle devise won't factor in once you put the can on. On my 14.5" with surefire mini (not SOCOM series) I occasionally get first round flash with xm193 ammo. This gun also has the 556-212 flash hider on it, which works really well with the can off. I don't get any flash from my 16" scar 16, which has the same flash hider.

I only notice the flash because I shoot inside and its easy to see. If I shot outside I probably wouldn't notice it.

For what you have listed, the one that will get the most abuse is the can on the 11.5". However, shooting a SBR with a brake isn't much fun for those around you. I would still go with the flash hider on that gun.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LTMattyL View Post
    The amount of flash you get will be based on the specific can, barrel length, and ammo combination... the muzzle devise won't factor in once you put the can on. On my 14.5" with surefire mini (not SOCOM series) I occasionally get first round flash with xm193 ammo. This gun also has the 556-212 flash hider on it, which works really well with the can off. I don't get any flash from my 16" scar 16, which has the same flash hider.

I only notice the flash because I shoot inside and its easy to see. If I shot outside I probably wouldn't notice it.

For what you have listed, the one that will get the most abuse is the can on the 11.5". However, shooting a SBR with a brake isn't much fun for those around you. I would still go with the flash hider on that gun.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, I think I agree with you regarding the flash hider.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I haven't shot my SBR unsuppressed in over 3 years. I rarely, if ever, notice any flash.

Shooting it with the MB is pretty bad for those around you from what I remember, but **** them. They don't have $1000 tied up in my blast baffles.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience, I think I agree with you regarding the flash hider.
    No worries. Happy I could help.

Feedback Score
    ...and you can always put the FH end cap in the Saker for extra flash hiding.

Feedback Score
    ghjkl
    Last edited by Aries144; 05-11-19 at 19:23.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    I'm really curious to see how well that works and a comparison with and without.
    I bought one, but mainly to more easily tell the difference in the 7.62 and 5.56 caps so I don't blow a .30 or 6.8 hole in the 5.56 cap. I have the FH cap here, but the 7.62 can is in jail for awhile longer (pending 7/24).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast