Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lady Smith 65 - Got a sweet Deal!

Feedback Score

Lady Smith 65 - Got a sweet Deal!

Earlier this week I bought a Ladysmith 65 from my local LGS/Range. They took it in on a trade a few months ago and have been using it as a rental. They only allow .38s to be shot through it.

The finish is a bit rough. Lock up is super tight and seems to be completely sound mechanically. They took it apart and cleaned it up for me.

I paid $335 for it! That included the breakdown and cleaning. I have been looking at them on Gunbroker. Going rate seems to be $700 to $1,100 depending on condition. I didn't realize it was such a desirable piece.

Here she is after being cleaned up with some nice Altamont grips

I am an avid shooter, but I mainly shoot rifles and semi-auto pistols. My revolver experience is pretty much limited to shooting my J Frame collection. I have five J Frames. I shoot them often and I shoot them fairly well.

I also have some basic gunsmithing skills and do a fair amount of work on my ARs. I have also done trigger jobs on all of my J Frames. So I know triggers pretty well.

Let me say this 65 Ladysmith has an absolutely amazing trigger by any standard. The double action is light, smooth, and very crisp. It is light and smooth through the whole pull. It might be the nicest factory revolver trigger I have ever pulled in DA. I will not touch the trigger on this gun, it will remain as is.

I took her out to the range. I brought some AE 130gr standard pressure FMJ .38s, Blaser .38 FMJ 158gr +P, and some Federal 125gr JHP .357s. Here are some 6 shot groups I shot in single and double action at 25 feet.

Here is the first group I shot. AE 130gr .38. Single Action at 25':

Here is the second group I shot. AE 130gr .38. Double Action at 25':

Here is the only .357 group I shot. Federal 125gr JHP. DOUBLE ACTION at 25'. Yep that's 6 rounds in Double Action. She loves this load!:

One last group:

What an accurate and sweet gun to shoot. Recoil is not bad at all even with the .357s. I won't be shooting too many .357s, they are too expensive. But my lady seems to really like those Federal 125gr JHPs.

I am very happy with my purchase. I think my next bunch of gun purchases will be revolvers. They shoot so nicely. Much nicer than any of my semi-autos.

Feedback Score
    OK, just so we understand each other, you STOLE that Smith. Good, good catch!

Skip

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great find. The 64 and 65 are among my favorites.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You indeed stole it.

As Skintop said, the Models 64 and 65 are my idea of the ultimate fighting revolver. I have one of each, a 3" 65 and 4" 64. I don't consider myself underarmed with either, despite the fact that I own a few std capacity 9x19 semi autos and regardless of what others would say.

Feedback Score
    looks good, but the Lady Smith is a girls gun and do you want to be seen shooting a girls gun! well do you !!!
    Last edited by SteveS; 08-17-14 at 16:18.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That is a excellent catch. As others have said, you got a great price on a much-desired pistol.

If I may be so bold, you might snag a Tyler T-grip for that pistol, and give it a try. I think you will be pleased with the results.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My bar none favorite S&W revolver stocks are made my Kim Ahrends.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I paid $335 for it! That included the breakdown and cleaning. I have been looking at them on Gunbroker. Going rate seems to be $700 to $1,100 depending on condition. I didn't realize it was such a desirable piece.
    You've made a wonderful purchase, they are very definitely highly desirable revolvers, the 3" barreled K-frames being the sweetest feeling .38/.357's ever produced! I would have dropped $500.00 on that without batting an eyelash...If it was mine, I'd send that little hottie off to be tuned up, then plated in hard chrome which would effectively eliminate the "Ladysmith" etching...I would send that off to Bob at, "Accurate Plating & Weaponry."

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Great find, I would have jumped on it too. I've paid more for stainless Smiths with rougher finish.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mr Smith would do a nice number on that piece, I bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast