Thread: Do S&W sears need fitting?

Feedback Score

Do S&W sears need fitting?

So I picked up a 66-1 a couple of weeks back and one of the few things I wanted to change on it was to convert it to DAO. Found a factory spurless hammer on ebay, and went to install it. Upon installation, I have noticed that the trigger notch can't reset back into the double action sear. It appears that is it slightly too long. The first pull will pull the hammer back and drop it, but after that it will not reset and every time the trigger is pulled the hammer just pushes forward slightly (firing pin would contact a cartridge if one was present). Is this a normal occurrence? Is this a standard job with Boride stones?

I'm also debating just swapping sears. Would this work?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Most parts in the action require fitting when replacing them. Stoning the parts free hand is a hit or miss proposition unless you do it on a daily basis.

A good gunsmith with the proper jigs should be able to help you.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Thanks. I'll pick that up when it comes back in.

I had a friend swap the sears for me.
    Before:

After:

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised you had issues with a DAO hammer. They usually have the single-action notch removed, and the hammer is moved by a spring loaded "dog". S&W revolvers don't have an actual sear, per se. The single action engagement areas are part of the trigger, and part of the hammer.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    I'm surprised you had issues with a DAO hammer. They usually have the single-action notch removed, and the hammer is moved by a spring loaded "dog". S&W revolvers don't have an actual sear, per se. The single action engagement areas are part of the trigger, and part of the hammer.
    I think we're actually talking about the same part. Red arrow pointing to it:

Not sure if this hammer has the SA notch or not. I can cock it if I pull the trigger to bring it back and pinch the hammer back, so I guess it does. However the trigger doesn't feel nearly as nice as with the other hammer in SA, so maybe it's the SA notch on the trigger catching on something?

Feedback Score
    Smith revolvers are a lot like 1911's for optimum performance expect to hand fit every part darn near

Feedback Score
    Yup. Hammer dog. Hmmm... I could write rap music.

"Ladies & Gentlemen, presenting "Hammer Dog"!

I'll be rich! But first I need to do something about this sleep-deprivation thing...
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    Yup. Hammer dog. Hmmm... I could write rap music.

"Ladies & Gentlemen, presenting "Hammer Dog"!

I'll be rich! But first I need to do something about this sleep-deprivation thing...
    I don't listen to rap, but from my time in public school, I believe it would be "dawg" then.

Any idea on the SA notch?