Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best 7.62X39 Ammo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    it is mildly corrosive
    No such thing as 'mildly corrosive', something is or it isn't. And in the case of M67 it's primer is corrosive.

I would say other then Hog's it would be unethical to shoot any other game animal with the M67 as I have not seen the touted tumbling effect this load is mystified for.
    M67 is all I've really hunted with for almost two decades (legal where I hunt). I've taken everything from coyote, hogs, 300# mulie's, all the way up to 700# elk with the cartridge. It performed just as good than more common and even more powerful & exotic cartridges, so long as you abide by common sense range limits. In fact, one of the reasons I still use it is that I do not like long range hunting, I've seen too many people pull their shots and wound the animal when taken at long range. Many today seem to use the more exotic cartridges as a crutch for not having the skills to get in close, as a result the animal often suffers. The little Russian short my be scoffed at by the gee-wiz wonder ammo crowd, sorry but that is simply due to their own inexperience, much the same as they scoff at tried and true 'little' hunting cartridges like 30-30, .30, .357, .35 Rem, etc. The only times I've not seen the round do it's typical 2x tumble is occasionally when a large mass of bone is struck, you might only see one turn but still get a wound path that rivals many ballistic tip type rounds. No offense intended but I trust my own experience with first hand use over the years.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For social work I keep the following around in 7.62x39:

Hornady SST
    Tula 124 grn HP (8M3)
    Winchester PDX1 Defender (120 grn JHP)
    Winchester Super-X (123 grn SP)
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Pilot View Post
    No such thing as 'mildly corrosive', something is or it isn't. And in the case of M67 it's primer is corrosive.

M67 is all I've really hunted with for almost two decades (legal where I hunt). I've taken everything from coyote, hogs, 300# mulie's, all the way up to 700# elk with the cartridge. It performed just as good than more common and even more powerful & exotic cartridges, so long as you abide by common sense range limits. In fact, one of the reasons I still use it is that I do not like long range hunting, I've seen too many people pull their shots and wound the animal when taken at long range. Many today seem to use the more exotic cartridges as a crutch for not having the skills to get in close, as a result the animal often suffers. The little Russian short my be scoffed at by the gee-wiz wonder ammo crowd, sorry but that is simply due to their own inexperience, much the same as they scoff at tried and true 'little' hunting cartridges like 30-30, .30, .357, .35 Rem, etc. The only times I've not seen the round do it's typical 2x tumble is occasionally when a large mass of bone is struck, you might only see one turn but still get a wound path that rivals many ballistic tip type rounds. No offense intended but I trust my own experience with first hand use over the years.
    When I used the term "Mildly Corrosive" it reflects the concentration of Mercuric Salts used in the priming compound, while the M67 primer is corrosive in nature the amount of Mercuric Salts within the priming compound is not as great as other corrosive imports I have seen in the past.

As to using a FMJ bullet on a game animal such as Deer and Elk I stand by my statement that it is unethical and just poor judgement when there are so many other low cost readily available alternatives on the market. There is no need for "exotic" or "gee-wiz wonder ammo" when the tried and true low cost Remington Core-Lokt has downed many of big game animals since its inception 75 years ago. Most states in this nation have outlawed the use of FMJ ammunition for big game hunting and for good reason and just because a few may consider it a good choice I would say the majority knows better.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 09-20-14 at 23:12.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Are the 8m3 bullets still even available in the US ? I was under the impression that they are basically gone but I would love to be proved wrong on this.

Feedback Score
    here are your yugo bullets, http://www.sgammo.com/product/red-ar...d-army-standar

I'm planning on a Hog hunt next month using my sig556r, I'm torn between federal fusion or hornady, I have a couple boxes of double tap dpx but the cost is to high to stock up on, it is accurate though. Im glad I found this thread.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBow View Post
    I'm planning on a Hog hunt next month using my sig556r, I'm torn between federal fusion or hornady, I have a couple boxes of double tap dpx but the cost is to high to stock up on, it is accurate though. Im glad I found this thread.
    You might also want to take a look at Winchester's 7.62x39mm Razor Back XT 123grn HP and Hog Special 123grn Power Point SP.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBow View Post
    I can't imagine spending that much on still cased 7.62.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    You might also want to take a look at Winchester's 7.62x39mm Razor Back XT 123grn HP and Hog Special 123grn Power Point SP.
    yea I was looking at the razor back but haven't
    had any luck finding it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234