Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good exercise for weak upper arm (difficulty holding AR when changing mag)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question Whats a good exercise for weak upper arm (difficulty holding AR when changing mag)

I'm 40-achoo! years old with just stretching exercises for my sciatica as a routine.
    After taking a Tactical Rifle class, I realized it's difficult for me to keep my AR up while doing Tactical Reloads.
    I tried tucking the stock in my armpits, but, that's not good enough.

Please recommend a good exercise (besides doing some chicken-wings with the AR) that's not too strenuous for this aging member

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you are in a fight, and something impedes your ability to adequately project force, correct that problem or remove yourself from the fight.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I am by no means an expert or even a novice when it comes to this, so take this loosely.

What about holding your rifle by your side with arm straight by the pistol grip only. Then lift stock up to your your arm pit, then raise rifle into a firing position and hold. Then repeat in reverse back down to your side. Seems to me that would target the exact muscles that need addressed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    I'm 40-achoo! years old with just stretching exercises for my sciatica as a routine.
    After taking a Tactical Rifle class, I realized it's difficult for me to keep my AR up while doing Tactical Reloads.

Please recommend a good exercise (besides doing some chicken-wings with the AR) that's not too strenuous for this aging member

thanks
    You need to do the same stuff everyone needs to keep for upper body strength to help keep basic strength: Standing presses, push ups, chin ups, etc. If you're having trouble holding an AR during mag changes as a 40 year old male (unless there's some serious medical condition you're not mentioning) you're going to be at serious risk of sarcopenia (age related loss of muscle) and other ills best avoided if you're that weak now.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-19-14 at 09:10.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You need to seek fitness instruction from a qualified trainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    You need to do the same stuff everyone needs to keep for upper body strength to help keep basic strength: Standing presses, push ups, chin ups, etc. If you're having trouble holding an AR during mag changes as a 40 year old male (unless there's some serious medical condition you're not mentioning) you're going to be at serious risk of sarcopenia (age related loss of muscle) and other ills best avoided if you're that weak now.

thanks for everyone's suggestions.

@WillBrink, I've been lurking your post for sometimes now. You have excellent suggestions. Specially, when it comes to low back problems, which, I'm afraid I have that too.
    I perform A LOT of pushing and pulling heavy patients on a daily basis. Transferring patient from bed/cart to CAT scan table. I transfer most of the energy using my legs to push. When I pull, I use transfer board or using plastic sheets to simulate a "slip-n-slide" and using my weight to pull patient...using my body as a counter-weight. At home I do a lot of stretching and those ab exercises with those huge bouncy balls...I've removed the office chair to and use the bouncy ball as a chair, to continue engaging my core muscles. Pretty fun, and it keeps me alert and awake vs office chair, which encourages your to slouch and ruin your posture.

I order those hooks for pull up on door frames. I'll be incorporating those also.
    I'm doing the MARSOC 10-week prep workout app to further strengthen whatever muscles that needs workout. Started this week.
    I'm using the rifle also like a kettle-bell instead of buying one. At 40-achoo, it's weird to get back into the workout. I'm usually cold to touch, but wife, noticed that I'm warm lately with the new routine.
    It's a slow process for me. Baby steps as they say.

Thanks for the suggestions again.
    Last edited by Ledanek; 08-21-14 at 22:41.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you are in a fight, and something impedes your ability to adequately project force, correct that problem or remove yourself from the fight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post

thanks
    Do high repetition (15-25) with low weight exercises for your biceps and shoulders every-other day if your schedule permits it. Those muscle groups seems to bear the brunt of body position/support, the first fundamental of BRM.

Good
    Hammer Curls: 3-5 sets of 15-25 reps with one minute rest inbetween sets.
    Better
    Dumbell Curls into Overhead Press: 3-5 sets of 15-25 reps with one minute rest inbetween sets.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pick up Starting Strength 3rd edition by Mark Rippetoe. It is the best How-To for doing the basic barbell lifts I have ever seen. Your overall performance will greatly improve by strengthening your entire body.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You would be amazed how much strength you gain by doing 100 push-ups a day. I would start there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang31 View Post
    You would be amazed how much strength you gain by doing 100 push-ups a day. I would start there.
    Push ups are great, but If you're not doing an equal amount of pulling exercise in the same plane of movement as the push ups, an excellent way to create imbalances and future injuries. A good program is a balanced program.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-22-14 at 14:42.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    My AR feels 1/3rd lighter now that my arm curls are up from 25 to 50 (3x8). Good form of course.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast