Thread: Paint color number codes

Feedback Score

Paint color number codes

I'm getting ready to do me some rattlecanning, but I'm trying to sort out the color schemes I want to use. In some cases, I'm hoping to match the colors in some particular camo pattern.

Researching, I find there are apparently two (at least) relevant government color numbering schemes. This is all aside from the part# used by the paint manufacturer, which doesn't carry across manufacturers. The Federal Standard 595 is a 5-digit number, and then there is another apparently military scheme with 3-digit numbers. Sometimes the manufacturer puts one or the other on the can or their web site.

For example, Aervoe has a "Military Vehicle & Recreation Camouflage Paint" line labeled with 5-digit FS 595 numbers, but a separate "Military Digital Pattern Camo Paint" line labeled with the 3-digit numbers. The 3-digit numbers do not appear to be something specific to Aervoe, though, because I've run across military specifications for uniforms or LBE items calling out the camo patterns in terms of those numbers.

The three digit numbers do not appear to be just three of the digits from 5-digit numbers. For example, the base color in 3-color desert camo is ""Light Tan 492", but the colors in the 595 chart with "492" as the last three digits are grey (by name and appearance) not tan.

What I'm trying to find out, and haven't been successful with search, is what the 3-digit scheme is called, where is there a complete list of them, and how they cross-reference with the FS 595 numbers.

Can anybody enlighten me here?

Another thing I'm looking for is the color specifications for AOR2 (aka NWU Type III). I've found official docs on line that give the colors in the old-school color patterns, UCP, both flavors of MARPAT, but not the Navy stuff.
    Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 08-19-14 at 09:44.