Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Options

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    I'm still curious why it has to be done with the barrel in place. You know it just unscrews, right? and any competent cerakote guy will have an action wrench and barrel vise to be able to pull the barrel off and put it back on without scratching the paint.
    I don't think it would be a problem if the Cerakoter is also a professional rifle-plumber with numerous match quaility rifles to his name and work. Someone who just does factory certified Cerakoting might not take the time and care to ensure the reinstall is done with the same headspace guages to the same tolerances that Bartlein set the barrel for.

Feedback Score
    You would probably be surprised. It's easier than removing and reinstalling an AR15 barrel/barrel nut. The 'tolerances' are set when they machine it. Once machined, you can spin it off and back on and it will be in the same spot. and it is pretty trivial to put witness marks on it if you don't believe me. I swap my own barrels all the time.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You would probably be surprised. It's easier than removing and reinstalling an AR15 barrel/barrel nut. The 'tolerances' are set when they machine it. Once machined, you can spin it off and back on and it will be in the same spot. and it is pretty trivial to put witness marks on it if you don't believe me. I swap my own barrels all the time.
    My only experience with re-barreling a bolt action is on a Savage with the barrel nut so I'm probably incorrect when it comes to uninstalling/re-installing a custom fitted barrel. In this I'll defer to your own experience.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What he said
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opsoff1 View Post
    What he said

believe I will just leave it ugly. That will add a little character to the gun.

Feedback Score
    fwiw, i would do something to the bead blast. i kind of like it myself, but my experience was that it would get a bit of surface rust. when you shoot out barrels in 4-5 months, it's not a big deal, but if this is something that's going to spend a lot of time in the closet, i'd make sure to keep it oiled or throw some sort of protectant on there if you decide not to coat or paint it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12