Thread: Surefire m600 vs m620

Feedback Score
    Hey guys, I did a search on the forum and on Google to see if I missed something but can't seem to find a thread on it so if it is out there please link me and sometime close this thread.
    I am trying to figure out the difference between the Surefire m600u and m620u scout lights. Other than the price I can't seem to tell a difference besides the 620 is 0.9 oz heavier.
    Last edited by pekosROB; 08-20-14 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I believe the 620 has a throw-lever mounting system and the 600 just has a screw.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    The 620 has the wider mounting platform that utilizes the m93 mount. Or Millennium style mount. Current scouts (300 and 600 series) mounts do not work with the 620. The 620 uses the same mount as the 952 lights.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-20-14 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I believe the 620 has a throw-lever mounting system and the 600 just has a screw.
    This is also true. The factory 620 QD mount is kind of usless because of its size in my opinion. And where the weight comes from. I would buy the 600U and you will have many more mounting choices over the 620. You will be most likley buying a specific mount for your set up anyway, so I wouldnt pay the price difference for the 620. Larue and IWC (and few others) make good mounts for the 952/620 lights though. But not nearly the selection as the standard scout mount on 300 and 600 series.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-20-14 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    This is also true. The factory 620 QD mount is kind of usless because of its size in my opinion. And where the weight comes from. I would buy the 600U and you will have many more mounting choices over the 620. You will be most likley buying a specific mount for your set up anyway, so I wouldnt pay the price difference for the 620. Larue and IWC (and few others) make good mounts for the 952/620 lights though. But not nearly the selection as the standard scout mount on 300 and 600 series.
    Thanks JW and everyone else. So they have a different mount but the light itself is the same? I'm trying to decide if the 600 is overkill for indoors or not. I might just settle for the 300 but the 600 would have better use outdoors, or at least it would seem to be that way.

JW, do you have any photos (or could you take some) of the mounts of the two? Or of the 620 if you have it?

Feedback Score
    Nevermind, I can see the difference now on their website.

Edit: I'm assuming these lights can pop right off of either rail if I wanted to use a different mount? I want the light to be as far away from the barrel as possible. Right now with my SBR it's no problem but once I suppress it I would want it further out (like the Magpul mount vs either 300/600u/620u) so there is no shadow (or minimal) from the suppressor.

Anyone ever cerakote a flashlight? I wonder if I should get a tan one and then get it cerakoted OD green later... now I'm just rambling.
    Last edited by pekosROB; 08-20-14 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pekosROB View Post
    Thanks JW and everyone else. So they have a different mount but the light itself is the same? I'm trying to decide if the 600 is overkill for indoors or not. I might just settle for the 300 but the 600 would have better use outdoors, or at least it would seem to be that way.

JW, do you have any photos (or could you take some) of the mounts of the two? Or of the 620 if you have it?

Nevermind, I can see the difference now on their website.

Edit: I'm assuming these lights can pop right off of either rail if I wanted to use a different mount? I want the light to be as far away from the barrel as possible. Right now with my SBR it's no problem but once I suppress it I would want it further out (like the Magpul mount vs either 300/600u/620u) so there is no shadow (or minimal) from the suppressor.

Anyone ever cerakote a flashlight? I wonder if I should get a tan one and then get it cerakoted OD green later... now I'm just rambling.
    The difference of the Scout mini (300A and B) and the 600 A, B, C) are the size and the lumen output/heads. You will need to do a little more research on the different models and outputs. There are 200 lumen versions of both, the 300B and the 600C. So that makes no difference in output for indoors like your debating getting one or another. The U is 500 lumens. So considerably more. You will need to research your needs as there are pages and pages of info on the net. Surefires websight is a good place to get some factory pics and light output lumens.

The lights are mounted with screws. Allen or Torx. Taking those off will make it able to run whatever mount you so choose. Hundreds of choices for mounts for the Scouts.

If your only propose is for a night time indoor defense situation, I would hesitate to use a 500 lumen light. A 50 lumen light seems bright at 3am in the pitch dark. Yes you can Cerakote pretty much anything. The search function is your friend and these and many other topics have been discussed.

If your worried about shadows, the best way to deal with that is mounting at the 12 o clock after the FSB. With a X300 or something alike. Either on a cut out rail, or after a flip up sight. This makes the shadow only cast at 6 oclock. Mounting the scout light after the the MD eliminates the issue without a can on, but you would need some stupid long light to have it extend past the can. No way around it really. Again, search function.

Hope this helps and good luck with finding your exact set up. Usually takes a few times of swapping things until you find the "right" one. Again, search the forums. Everything you asked has been discussed many many times before..
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-20-14 at 22:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    The difference of the Scout mini (300A and B) and the 600 A, B, C) are the size and the lumen output/heads. You will need to do a little more research on the different models and outputs. There are 200 lumen versions of both, the 300B and the 600C. So that makes no difference in output for indoors like your debating getting one or another. The U is 500 lumens. So considerably more. You will need to research your needs as there are pages and pages of info on the net. Surefires websight is a good place to get some factory pics and light output lumens.

The lights are mounted with screws. Allen or Torx. Taking those off will make it able to run whatever mount you so choose. Hundreds of choices for mounts for the Scouts.

If your only propose is for a night time indoor defense situation, I would hesitate to use a 500 lumen light. A 50 lumen light seems bright at 3am in the pitch dark. Yes you can Cerakote pretty much anything. The search function is your friend and these and many other topics have been discussed.

If your worried about shadows, the best way to deal with that is mounting at the 12 o clock after the FSB. With a X300 or something alike. Either on a cut out rail, or after a flip up sight. This makes the shadow only cast at 6 oclock. Mounting the scout light after the the MD eliminates the issue without a can on, but you would need some stupid long light to have it extend past the can. No way around it really. Again, search function.

Hope this helps and good luck with finding your exact set up. Usually takes a few times of swapping things until you find the "right" one. Again, search the forums. Everything you asked has been discussed many many times before..
    Thanks again JW. I think I'm going to start out with an offset mount and a Surefire G2X Pro. I like the Fire Rescue Pro but not the color (which I get why they have it orange but I don't want that on my rifle). Then again there is Cerakote...

I saw that there was a 200 lumen P version of the 600 so I edited my post to ask about the U. It's nice to have options.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pekosROB View Post
    Thanks again JW. I think I'm going to start out with an offset mount and a Surefire G2X Pro. I like the Fire Rescue Pro but not the color (which I get why they have it orange but I don't want that on my rifle). Then again there is Cerakote...

I saw that there was a 200 lumen P version of the 600 so I edited my post to ask about the U. It's nice to have options.
    You should probably avoid the g2x pro and instead go with the tactical model. The pro is a dual output light and will not work very well mounted on a rifle because it turns on low and then you have to click it off and back on to get high. Recoil may even cause it to change brightness due to how the switch works.

The tactical model has a simple momentary switch and only a single output level, making it much better for weapon use. The only downside is that the spring is pretty damn stiff.
    Last edited by Slippers; 08-21-14 at 07:40.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com