Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilson Combat Berretta M9 mags ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Anybody run these Wilson mags? Feedback ?
    Pappabear, welcome to the darkside. Mec-Gar mags are top notch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    He's been using Mec-Gar18 years? Source?
    Maybe not 18 years but good enough.
    "I have been using MEC-GAR magazines in my Beretta 92s for about 5 years now and they have become my favorite magazine. The MEC-GAR mags are now my "go to" magazine for my Berettas as trust them as much as I trust a factory magazine. They reload in the gun faster and with the extra capacity it is an easy choice to pick these mags every time." - Ernest Langdon

that's from the wilson website

Feedback Score
    18 years to 5 years is quite a jump...

I don't see how a mec-gar would reload faster though. It's all user I believe.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWCRaiden View Post

Exactly. 18 is not even close to 5.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWCRaiden View Post

Probably has something to do with the polished finished on the exterior. I recall Ben Stoeger mentioning in a video how the smoother mags ejected a little cleaner than the mags with the rougher external finish. Not a huge deal, to be sure.

Found the video here:

http://youtu.be/ue8_uN0OIVs?t=4m14s
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The 'Anti-Friction Coating' Mec-Gar uses on their magazines is very slick. To the point that my OEM-spec Mec-Gar P226 mags had a good deal of friction in my mag pouch, but once I went over to their 18-round AFC magazines, they almost slip out too easily.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    My bad, guys. You're right on 5 years, not 18. Langdon has been using the 92 in competition for 18 years (http://youtu.be/rIwW0uMCGJI?t=3m58s), and in the promotional materials distributed by Wilson Combat, he often says the Mec-Gars are the #1 magazine he uses and finds them to be at the very least as reliable as the factory magazines, if not more. He also suggests Mec-Gar in other places too, not just through WC's promo materials. Thus, I just put 2 and 2 together (18 years shooting the 92 in competition, Mec-Gars are his go-to magazine) and didn't come up with 4.

Regardless, the dude shoots 20-50,000 rounds a year and definitely abuses his magazines. That's between 100,000 and 250,000 rounds this guy has shot through Mec-Gars. He's the authority on the 92, and I honestly don't think there's someone who has shot it more or knows as much about it than him. If he gives the endorsement and uses them in competition, they've got to be a quality piece of equipment. They're as good as they get, Pappa.

As for the reload faster claim, I've actually found that to be my experience as well, especially compared to the 92's old phosphate-covered mags. The Mec-Gars and the factory blued magazines slide right into the gun with no resistance. The factory phosphate magazines definitely don't. Throw in dirty conditions and it gets much worse for the phosphate mags, which is part of the reason the 92 has such an undeserved reputation (people being given shitty, phosphate-covered mags in Iraq and Afghanistan that jam up in the gun when even a little bit of sand gets in there).

Additionally, not only is the finish of the Mec-Gars better than the phosphate mags that used to be standard for the 92 (and may still be, not sure), but the base plates are better than all the Beretta factory magazines I've used, even the blued ones. Both on the 18 and 20 round Mec-Gars, I've found the base plates much easier to latch onto due to their design. The 18 rounders have a tapered base plate that you can latch onto, and the 20 rounders literally have finger grooves built into the base plate. Both are much easier to grab onto and rip in case the magazine doesn't drop free than the factory magazines, all of which are flush fitting and hard to grab for a rip if necessary.*

*at least in my experience, which includes factory 15 and 17 rounders in 4 different finishes and designs (blued, phosphate, sand-resistant, and phosphate again).
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; 08-23-14 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    As many have said the quality is there. As for reloading faster, I'm not sure I'm fast enough to take advantage of it. I have several of the 18 round Mec-Gars and they do slip out nicely, a little better than the factory phosphate mags. I have one polished blue 15 round Me-Gar that leaps from the mag well. It's only disadvantage is there are no witness holes for round count.
    In my experience there are three very good options for Beretta magazines and I have all three. Mec-Gar, Beretta factory and MDS [which I think is a subsidiary of Beretta].

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 19852 View Post
    As many have said the quality is there. As for reloading faster, I'm not sure I'm fast enough to take advantage of it. I have several of the 18 round Mec-Gars and they do slip out nicely, a little better than the factory phosphate mags. I have one polished blue 15 round Me-Gar that leaps from the mag well. It's only disadvantage is there are no witness holes for round count.
    In my experience there are three very good options for Beretta magazines and I have all three. Mec-Gar, Beretta factory and MDS [which I think is a subsidiary of Beretta].
    Exactly. The coating may help, but not enough for me to notice a difference. And when I'm reloading for speed, I'm usually pretty amped up and just slam the mag in. Seems fast enough for me.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12