Thread: DCAEK a -10 level job?

Feedback Score

DCAEK a -10 level job?

I was wondering if the DCAEK drop-in kit was an easy job for someone that has never done any work on weapons? I want to install one I an M&P 40 but have never worked on handguns or Longguns other than the normal cleaning. I watched the videos from APEX a few times an am considering attempting.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    What is a -10 level job? If its drop in, it will literally just drop in, at most you have to remove a few pins. I have worked on guns my self including various drop in parts on glocks and it's a walk in the park.

Feedback Score
    Like black22rifle said, it's really not that bad. I was new to M&Ps when I put in my first DCAEK, and had no problems whatsoever. Just remember to take your time. It also helped me to watch the video as I was doing it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Im not sure I would say that its -10 level. But, if youre mechanically inclined, and know how to go slow and easy, yes, you can do it.

Just remember, take your time, and dont be afraid to stop and re-check things.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, it's an easy job. It's all drop in parts. If you can take things apart and put them back together without leaving parts out, you're good.

I've done it back when I had essentially zero experience with working on handguns.

Feedback Score
    I ended up having a gunsmith do for cheap. For the time and my possible frustration, it was worth it. I am very happy with the results and glad I bought the kit. It dropped the pull and smoothed out the grittiness of the trigger as advertised. I took it to the range today to put it through the paces. I am a pretty decent shot in general but I was driving tacks.

I can say as far as the M&P platform, I love it. It is my go to handgun now. They hit a homerun with this firearm. Well built, smooth, intuitive and ergonomic. Accurate as hell and have complete confidence in it. Can't wait to get a job done on the compact version as well. And this is a guy that never liked Smith and Wesson before.

Thanks for all the responses.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by black22rifle View Post
    What is a -10 level job?
    I'm going to assume it means operator level maintenance, like how in the Army operator level TMs end with -10.

When in doubt, grab the dash-ten.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i know that by Army definition, it is not a -10 level job, given the fact that taking the grip panels off of a 1911 was considered -20 level. However, it is easy enough. But, if you are replacing the FPB, use a sight pusher.

Feedback Score
    You got it, that was my reference.