Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR/Suppressed under 21!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

SBR/Suppressed under 21!!

I was hoping the title would draw attention of great minds.

Let me begin. I thoroughly enjoy knowing the law, knowing my rights, and passing on knowledge. Now I know in most states a person under 21 but over 18 can buy a handgun legally, as long as its not from an ffl. Florida (my great gunshine state) only requires a FTF and bill of sale. Easy right? So I started thinking.. Are nfa items like this? I mean I just spent 8 months in shithole countries around the world toting my m27..fully automatic.. Why can't I own one at home? So I started googling and found this thread http://ingunowners.com/forums/class-...uppressor.html but it was not very clear, and google wasn't much help from that point on. To be fair, half my results ended up in Arabic so I can't read them. Any light you guys can shed on the subject (preferably dumbed down for a grunt) would be much appreciated.
    when life closes doors on you, blow them off the hinges.

Feedback Score
    21yo to purchase from an FFL/SOT.
    18yo to purchase from private party or manufacture yourself (ie Form 1).
    21yo to purchase frame/receiver from an FFL.
    18yo to purchase from private party.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    21yo to purchase from an FFL/SOT.
    21yo to purchase frame/receiver from an FFL.
    18yo to purchase from private party.
    That didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.. So I can buy a suppressor from Joe blow, and own it. Like a ftf pistol transfer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    That didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.. So I can buy a suppressor from Joe blow, and own it. Like a ftf pistol transfer?
    Yes.

FTF for NFA items in-state is fine between 18-21. Just have to be 21 to use an FFL/SOT.

That's what previous poster intended to say with the "18yo to purchase from private party" comment.

The other option is to use a trust for the purchase, and have one of the trustees be 21+ so they can pick up the item from the dealer on a Form 4 transfer, or eFile a Form 1.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 08-21-14 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    Yes. This part below answers your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    Private party = non-FFL/SOT, ie your "Joe Blow".
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So no need for paperwork to be filed? I simply hand over the cash and take home the suppressor? What if I get stopped with it, I won't have a stamp.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    So no need for paperwork to be filed? I simply hand over the cash and take home the suppressor? What if I get stopped with it, I won't have a stamp.
    No, it's an NFA item- you always need a stamp. Still need to do a Form 4 to transfer it.

Honestly I'd just wait till you're 21 and eForms are all worked out. Do a private party Pistol lower in the meantime to hold you over until you can get a real SBR.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    No, it's an NFA item- you always need a stamp. Still need to do a Form 4 to transfer it.

Honestly I'd just wait till you're 21 and eForms are all worked out. Do a private party Pistol lower in the meantime to hold you over until you can get a real SBR.
    I turn 21 right around the time I return home, I just like having the info to help guys below me.

How does the form 4 transfer work? I take home suppressor and submit form, wait for stamp to use it?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I turn 21 right around the time I return home, I just like having the info to help guys below me.

How does the form 4 transfer work? I take home suppressor and submit form, wait for stamp to use it?
    Not quite. You can't take possession of the suppressor until your form 4 is approved and the seller receives a copy of your tax stamp. You can then take the suppressor.

It's not like a lower receiver where you can already have it in your possession as long as you don't assemble it with a short barrel upper receiver while you wait for the form 1 approval/stamp.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Not quite. You can't take possession of the suppressor until your form 4 is approved and the seller receives a copy of your tax stamp. You can then take the suppressor.

It's not like a lower receiver where you can already have it in your possession as long as you don't assemble it with a short barrel upper receiver while you wait for the form 1 approval/stamp.
    Oh OK I understand. Cool. Thanks for the I do guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast