Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Donor Shotguns for SBS Projects

Feedback Score

Best Donor Shotguns for SBS Projects

So what would people suggest are good donor models for a Short Barrel Shotgun? I guess I want something that a smith can easily work with, although some like [url=http://www.paladinarmory.com/SBSAOW.htm] can do works with everything from high ends to the Norinco and Turkish end of the spectrum.

Two types
    1. Modern Entry (though not breacher one)
    2. Sawed off coach gun or SxS type

Considerations
    1. Cost- I'm fine with spending more on the initial tax then the gun itself, but I don't want to get something super expensive for what is basically a fun toy project. Used is also fine.
    2. Reliability-I've read that the JW Coach Guns have issues with certain slugs and bulging...also Remington has had issues for the last decade or so.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Remington 870 wingmaster. Save the original barrel and buy a 14.5" elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Remington 870 wingmaster. Save the original barrel and buy a 14.5" elsewhere.
    Much agree. If you can find an old Wingmaster or Police Magnum trade-in, it would be worth your while.

I snagged one on Gunbroker for $300. I did not care about the furniture, I was replacing it anyway.

Feedback Score
    I'm a Mossberg fan, if you're thinking about a pump. Mossberg threads the magazine tube into the receiver (vs silver solder for an 870), so you can unscrew the mag, and screw on a shorter (or longer) tube. It gives you much more flexibility in changing the gun around.

Feedback Score
    I really love the Mossberg 590A1 14". Though it can be hard to find as a complete SBS, I found this AOW that could be SBS'd with the simple addition of an appropriate stock. Though the AOW stamp is only $5, it would be interesting to find out if you had to go through the whole AOW process first before being able to apply to SBS it.

http://www.capitolarmory.com/mossber...1-12g-aow.html

ETA: My bad. This is way out of your stated budget.
    Last edited by Quiet Riot; 08-22-14 at 08:23.
    aka, "TWANGnBANG"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Much agree. If you can find an old Wingmaster or Police Magnum trade-in, it would be worth your while.
    I'll third that. Wingmaster... not just a plain old 870. It'll be a good balance of price and quality.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    short Mossberg barrels are supposedly hard to find(or they at least where when I was looking 2 years ago).

short Remington barrels are everywhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    short Mossberg barrels are supposedly hard to find(or they at least where when I was looking 2 years ago).

Could not find a 12 inch rem. My search for a short Rem barrel ended when I found rose action sports, they cut my 18.5 Rem police mag down to 12 inch and bored it for choke tube all for 75.00 including return shipping .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post

Shotgun barrels are ridiculously easy to shorten and 'dress' the cut, even for non-gunsmith types.

Feedback Score

Best Donor Shotguns for SBS Projects

Thanks guys I'm going to see what I can find used at the gun shop today. Tanners in PA often has a great used shotgun selection.
    Last edited by gfanikf; 08-23-14 at 08:30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast