Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade M&P9 or New HK VP9

Feedback Score
    I'd suggest the VP9.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The older M&P's just have too many potential issues for me to consider one of them. Accuracy issues and the awful trigger will take money to correct that you can just put towards the VP9.

My old M&P would also cause JHP to nose-dive into the feed ramp if I let the slide auto-forward like in nickdrak's video linked to above. One grows tired of nursing a NIB guns back to health, very tired.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    MY VP9 has been great out of the box. Sold off my M&P compacts as well. M&P might as well stand for "Money Pit" in my experience.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I had a 2011 M&P9 PRO 4.25" and a 2012 M&P9 PRO 5". Both were good except for the grungy/crunchy trigger. Sold both and bought 2 new M&P9's from Grant with APEX parts installed. I thought about the VP9, but I am too satisfied with the G&R Tactical M&P's.
    To each his own devices...
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I own a fully upgraded M&P (APEX trigger & internals), Storm Lake fitted barrel, stippling with 10-8 sights...and a VP9. The M&P shoots like a lazer beam for me I've been very happy with it, I had another one in .40 with APEX internals that I was running with a factory 9 barrel and was very happy with it as well. The M&P line is excellent and with the APEX internals they are hard to beat for me.
    Then the VP9 was released...I'm issued a H&K pistol at work and thought it might be a great training gun as it has the same type of magazine release as my duty gun. I picked up the LE version and sofar have been impressed. With limited time behind it it has proven to be as accurate as my Storm Lake fitted M&P. The trigger is nice, very nice, not as light as the APEXE'd M&P's and it has a longer reset than both with and with out the APEX trigger. The thing is...I'm not sure it matters? They are both extremely useable and the VP9 trigger is good enough for me to do anything I need to to with this pistol. I have a Wilson 1911 and even with its excellent trigger I don't know that I shoot it much better (running drills, at matches etc...I'm sure as a bullseye gun it would excell but that isn't something I do). The VP9 seemed to reset better for me (better than both the M&P and my 1911) during the recoil cycle and I found that I was right back at the wall ready to break the next shot as soon as the front sight settled.
    If I wasn't issued a H&K I most likely would not have given this pistol a 2nd look as I was very happy with my M&P's but I'm glad I did. I think that there is a lot of time is spent chaseing the "perfect" pistol and I don't think it's a bad thing, but, finding a sidearm that works for you and is shootable/reliable is, for me, the end game. The VP9 is that for me, if it's a Glock or an M&P for you carry on. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of thoes sidearms (I had a G19 for a few years and really wish it worked for me, my life would have been simpler).
    I will say that the VP9 is the most comfortable pistol I've ever held...and that the H&K lever mag release has really grown on me over the years (I was a "1911 guy" for a long time) and it was my biggest complaint about my issued gun when I first got it. I think that I actually might like it better than my GASP!!! Wilson... That was really hard to say the first time but...damn if it ain't true.
    As of now I sold off my M&P .40 and will be moving the Storm Lake fitted 9mm one to the bedside table for bumps in the night with a X300U on it. I'll be picking up a 2nd VP9 soon and it will become my primary training gun along side my duty pistol (P2000).
    Last edited by TCB; 08-23-14 at 03:27.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Are current production M&P 9MM pistols still prone to jamming now and then when inserting mags hard enough to cause the slide to auto forward ? I don't mind the auto forwarding part that much, but
    the jamming / failure to feed I would mind very much. Maybe this issue has long since been fixed and currently manufactured M&P 9mm pistols have no issue with this. I don't know.
    My M&P auto-forwards about 85% of the time. It's been reliable-no feeding or ejection issues ever, but it terms of shootability, and "quality" feel, it doesn't come close to the PPQ or the VP9. Mine has moved from the back of the safe to the "for sale" list.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I own both, if the VP9 was out a few years ago I would not own any M&Ps. If not heavily invested in M&Ps I'd opt for the VP9. However, I have a ton of mags, holsters etc and will not be getting rid of my M&Ps. They are good guns, but I now prefer the VP9.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I own both, if the VP9 was out a few years ago I would not own any M&Ps. If not heavily invested in M&Ps I'd opt for the VP9. However, I have a ton of mags, holsters etc and will not be getting rid of my M&Ps. They are good guns, but I now prefer the VP9.
    I'm in the same boat. Holsters, magazines, Arredondo extensions, Warren sights. I had to add a DCAEK to make the trigger even useable, and had to get a hand-fitted Storm Lake barrel to give it even reasonable accuracy. After a couple of years of never shooting it, it's finally on the block and I'll just have to choke on the "investment". I can't envision anything that would make me go back to using it.

My Glock 19 was even worse, but it's already gone.

Feedback Score
    Here's what it looks like it will probably end up costing to upgrade the M&P (estimated):

Stormlake barrel - $125
    10-8 Sights - $95
    10-8 basepads - $40
    Apex FSS - $160
    Slide stop - $20
    Total - $440

I could get a new M&P with three mags for less than that. Or put that money towards the VP9. Geez.
    “We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kt1589 View Post
    Here's what it looks like it will probably end up costing to upgrade the M&P (estimated):

Stormlake barrel - $125
    10-8 Sights - $95
    10-8 basepads - $40
    Apex FSS - $160
    Slide stop - $20
    Total - $440

I could get a new M&P with three mags for less than that. Or put that money towards the VP9. Geez.
    I wouldn't spend the money on the SL barrel unless it's an oversized gunsmith fit barrel from G&R. That's more like $200. You'd likely just be burning that cash as a std. barrel is not likely to improve accuracy much, if at all. That being said I'd make sure and shoot it first at 25 yds. if you haven't as either might be a waste if you've got a good shooting M&P. They are out there, but are kind of like finding a white buffalo.

Also, I'd make sure and switch out the FP block, sear spring and plunger to the larger version as well, particularly if you're going to run the FSS sear.

However, you're going to spend money on sights for either a VP9 or M&P so I wouldn't include that in your calculation.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast