Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowering POA while in prone.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Try gettng your support arm as vertical as possible under the forearm and planting that elbow. Then make all NPOA changes around that pivot point. If you need to adjust your NPOA just scoot your hips a little at a time to adjust elevation and windage. The Appleseed Project is a great inexpensive training program to learn fundamentals like this.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by backspur View Post
    Try gettng your support arm as vertical as possible under the forearm and planting that elbow. Then make all NPOA changes around that pivot point. If you need to adjust your NPOA just scoot your hips a little at a time to adjust elevation and windage. The Appleseed Project is a great inexpensive training program to learn fundamentals like this.
    Ain't gonna work mag rested.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Which prone position are you shooting from:

Prone Unsupported - No part of rifle touching the ground up on your elbows

Prone Supported - Using a bipod, bag or other object as a rest

Prone Variant - Resting the magazine on the ground

Is eye relief consistent and like F2S asked, where is the butt in your shoulder?

How are you employing the sling? Is the rail free floated?
    The rifle is resting on a 30 round magazine.

I shoot nose to charging-handle when in prone, as for where its at on my shoulder, I cannot remember exactly, but I did make sure to try and have it inline with my body so I can handle the recoil well. The couple of times where I could get a solid Natural Point of Aim I was getting alright groups, for myself.

The rail is free-floated. As for the sling its just there doing nothing, though it is is around me just not tight enough to make an difference.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    The rifle is resting on a 30 round magazine.

I shoot nose to charging-handle when in prone, as for where its at on my shoulder, I cannot remember exactly, but I did make sure to try and have it inline with my body so I can handle the recoil well. The couple of times where I could get a solid Natural Point of Aim I was getting alright groups, for myself.

The rail is free-floated. As for the sling its just there doing nothing, though it is is around me just not tight enough to make an difference.
    If it were me, I would try it with the mag off the ground, prone unsupported just to see if it makes a difference.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    look through these to describe what you are doing-it may help diagnose the issue. I also think you have the stock buried into your chest vs the pocket of your shoulder which would cause the upward pointing. Oh-for me, unless I'm doing High Power, I don't get to tied up on the nose to CH. If shooting an AR on the deck, I normally just rest the 30 round mag and my support hand is at the mag well unless I need height and I use high prone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pron...0%3B1024%3B682
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Mag on the ground, slide the stock up in shoulder pocket until you have it on target. Try it at home, and play around with it until comfortable. The stock doesn't have to be in a specific spot in the shoulder. You can move it around as needed to make the shot. Also try finding a solid position that sits you up higher if needed. As another poster mentioned, bone support is critical.

Another way to think about it ... The gun can only be on target one way. Find the best way to stack your body behind it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-24-14 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I went shooting today and got it sorted out for the most part, just more practice then I should be good.

I got pretty good groups towards the end, however, I began to get my normal groupings: one or two (out of a three shot group) in the 9 ring, the rest low and right, out of the black 5" target. So my groups are horrible. But I am new to prone shooting, and am only doing irons for a year to get my fundamentals down.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 08-24-14 at 21:48.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12