Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowering POA while in prone.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Lowering POA while in prone.

I have just recently started shooting a lot prone, and have noticed that after getting windage all settled, my POA is still really high. I tried moving my arm further out on the rail, it still did not help much, especially since I felt more unstable.

I am shooting with a sling, though it does not really do much, off a 30 round magazine. Any advice?
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    Your Point of Aim or Point of Impact?

I am not sure I understand what the problem is, based on your post. Are you saying that you cannot aim at your target properly while prone?

Have you had any formal training on the prone position?
    Last edited by Arctic1; 08-22-14 at 10:36.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Man... I've noticed my POI moves when I get into a low prone. (with Irons) And that's usually how I zero my sights for stability.

I feel like I'm always chasing my ass on irons zero... different ammo, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If the issue is that you cannot get low enough, there are two fixes:

1. Use a 20rd magazine
    2. Adjust placement of elbows on the ground; closer to body raises you up, further away from body lowers you down

I do not recommend en extended support arm when shooting prone, grip closer to the receiver until you feel that you have a natural position for skeletal support, rather than muscular support -> it should not feel like your support arm is lifting/holding the gun, so to speak.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I am shooting with irons, as well.

While in prone I am trying to get a Natural Point of Aim, where I do not have to use muscle to get the front sight where it needs to be, and the last time I was out I could not get the front sight to sit low enough, it was always on top of black circle of my target.

The only training I have had in prone was a 2 day basic Redback One class. I did not seem to this issue then.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

- cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    At what distance are you shooting, how high is the target off the ground, and is the firing position elevated in relation to the target?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I am shooting at 100yds, the target is around 3 maybe 4 feet off the ground, and no its flat.

Here is the spot, but I am shooting with irons now:

[IMG][/IMG]

- cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Have you tried bringing the butt higher in your shoulder?

I'm kind of confused, as this seems like a pretty simple problem to solve, so I am wondering if there is something more to the issue...
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Which prone position are you shooting from:

Prone Unsupported - No part of rifle touching the ground up on your elbows

Prone Supported - Using a bipod, bag or other object as a rest

Prone Variant - Resting the magazine on the ground

Is eye relief consistent and like F2S asked, where is the butt in your shoulder?

How are you employing the sling? Is the rail free floated?

Feedback Score
    if you have to muscle the rifle into a proper sight picture then that is not your natural point of aim.... shots will not go where you want them.
    get behind the gun, close your eyes and relax, when you open your eyes where are the sights pointing? your N.P.A. ! adjust your body position accordingly to line up.
    get rid of the 30 round mag for prone shooting, forces you to be up too high for a stable position. The lower the better (without contacting the ground).
    this is a good starting point.... more to it to be consistant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast