Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top two tiers of Handguns for Police, Military or HD ?

Feedback Score
    I'm not huge on the tier system for pistols with myself I think it is a question is it a good choice for HD or LEO/Military use or isn't it. Personally myself the following more than likely make the cut and all others I have absolutely no use for nor should anyone else. Of the top of my head, I would have confidence with these pistols and would recommend them to a friend or family member.

S&W M&P
    FN: Hi Power and FNX/FNS
    CZ: CZ 75 and derivatives including polymer versions
    Sig: Mainly older ones
    H&K
    Glock
    Walther, (PPQ and P99) Uncertain about PPX
    Beretta (92 series) I'm uncertain of the PX4 and wouldn't recommend it until I had more information on it.
    Last edited by crusader377; 08-22-14 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't put the CZ75 variants in the 2nd tier category at all. Every bit as reliable/durable as any other platform out there.

Feedback Score
    For cops it should go...

Glock
    HK
    SIG
    ...and sometimes a high end 1911 (Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer)

Everything else is just too iffy.

If I was LEO...that would be my guidelines. Things like Rugers and Taurus do not belong in any cop's holster....sorry.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    What do you consider the requirements for a Tier 1 vs Tier 2 pistol?

I have owned pistols from Glock, Walther, S&W M&P, FN, HK, Sig, Beretta, and Taurus, and shot many of these in multiple advanced pistol classes in rough conditions. Out of the pistols I've owned and shot, the only ones that I've had issues with are the Taurus and the Beretta. I've shot, but never owned a CZ, but heard great things about them. After shooting and owning many pistols, my daily carry gun and go-to pistol is the Walther PPQ 9mm.

In my opinion, Tier 1 and Tier 2 pistols are as follows: And this is based on reliability, functionality, and accuracy

Tier 1 (not in any particular order)
    - HK
    - Glock
    - M&P
    - Walther
    - FN
    - Sig (mainly the older ones)
    - CZ (although I haven't shot this one extensively)

Tier 2
    - Taurus
    - Beretta
    - Springfield XD
    - Ruger
    - Kahr
    - Keltec

Tier 3
    - Highpoint
    I'd agree with this list. CZs are solid as a rock, but because they never really gained any mainstream acceptance as a duty weapon here in the U.S, they don't get the attention and respect that a lot of the other tier 1 duty weapons get. The CZ 75 P-01 is, in my opinion, one of the best 9mm pistols on the market in terms of ergonomics, accuracy, ruggedness, and reliability. The 75 series' only problems are that there's not much in the way of accessories or holsters available for them, they aren't quite as easy to field strip as, say, a Glock, M&P, HK, etc, and they are DA/SA and that's starting to be considered obsolete.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What is defines a weapon as tier 1 or 2? Is it based on weapon quality, or popularity within LEO/Mil?

Under either criteria, guns like Taurus and Keltec shouldn't make either list.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I'd agree with this list. CZs are solid as a rock, but because they never really gained any mainstream acceptance as a duty weapon here in the U.S, they don't get the attention and respect that a lot of the other tier 1 duty weapons get. The CZ 75 P-01 is, in my opinion, one of the best 9mm pistols on the market in terms of ergonomics, accuracy, ruggedness, and reliability. The 75 series' only problems are that there's not much in the way of accessories or holsters available for them, they aren't quite as easy to field strip as, say, a Glock, M&P, HK, etc, and they are DA/SA and that's starting to be considered obsolete.
    CZ 75s and their derivatives are duty grade handguns. They have been widely accepted as police and military handguns through a wide swath of the world including many European police agencies. The fact that they are ignored by US police forces is a reflection of a lack of marketing and knowledge. And when it comes to accuracy out of the box, CZ handguns are second to none and better than most by a wide margin.

I disagree with your assessments of the downsides of the 75. While sight selection is less than overwhelming, there are enough options to please anyone. Holster selection is pretty much a wash. And if that were a bother, buy a $40 blue gun and send it to almost any holster maker to be returned with your new holster. What else does a handgun need? Grips? Plenty to find. Action work? Send it to Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom.

I STRONGLY disagree with DA/SA becoming obsolete. Maybe on the internet. In the real world, a DA/SA with a decent trigger will give nothing to any striker fired pistol. I spent nearly 8 years with nothing but SF handguns (Glock and S&W) and now that I tried a CZ (P-07) I no longer own any SF pistols and doubt I ever will again. There is a reason why DA/SA pistols (especially CZs, its clones, and Berettas) dominate USPSA Production: a smooth, 5 - 6 lb DA trigger followed by a bunch of crisp, ultra short reset 2 lb SA triggers.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-22-14 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    Those guns are much more accurate in stock configuration than most S&W or Glock guns are with aftermarket support. That'd be my guess as to why they "dominate" the gun game that and Beretta and CZ produce pistols that can handle heavy round counts without too many problems.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Feedback Score
    No XD love at all here. I have had one for years with zero issues and plenty of rounds through it. Maybe I got lucky?

I'd have to say HK, Sig, and Walther at the top of the list. Not a Glock fan. Flame shield up.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    PPQ > M&P

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Needs a third tier. And a fourth.

Tier 1 (would trust out of the box):
    H&K
    Wilson Combat
    Nighthawk Custom
    Springfield Custom Shop 1911s
    Walther
    P210, P220, 225, 226, 228, 229
    S&W M&P and Third Gen DA autos
    FN Hi-Power
    Beretta 92/96
    Glock

Tier 2 (would trust with testing and tweaking):
    XDs
    Production Springfield, Colt, Dan Wesson, S&W 1911s
    CZ 75s
    Most anything else that says SiG on it.
    FN FNX/FNS
    Ruger autos
    Taurus PT-92s
    Beretta Px4
    Walther P-1
    Lahti L-35

Tier 3 (better than throwing rocks... almost):
    Anything else that says Taurus on it.
    SiG P250
    Kahr
    Kel-Tec
    Bersa
    Makarov, Tokarev
    FN Five-seveN
    CZ 52, 82/83

Tier 4 (just throw rocks instead):
    Hi-Point
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast