Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: best sling option

Feedback Score
    I have a VTAC padded and Magpul MS1 with QD's and without. Also have Frank Proctor's WOTG on one of my carbines and really like it. It is by far the lightest and simplistic IMHO. It is also the cheapest at only $29. After a lot of use though the 550 loops can start to fray while wrapped around the sharp edges of quad rails, but in three years I haven't broke one.

The VTAC really is rather large and complex compared to the simplicity of the other two. There is a lot going on there but it does work really well and is the most comfortable with heavier rifles. The heavy metal hardware will scratch the finish on your receivers over time though but it doesn't bother me.

The MS1 I use with QD's and it is built very well, really thicker and wider than the non-padded parts of the VTAC. The quick adjust slider is much larger than the WOTG. It's probably my new favorite. Magpul makes quality stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Well this is weird. I find my setup can be tighter/more secure,yet allow greater range of motion hooked up to the qd near the barrel nut.

1 when tight, its held higher and away from my legs
    2 I can run it around the neck when loose.
    3 I can sling it on my back quickly from either position. It ends up muzzle down so flopping is a non issue.

Whenever I try running it up front, it's always in the way.
    I do use the qd to hook it up front for shots at distance.

Anyone else experience this or am I doing it wrong?

Edit, that's with my 14.5". My 11.5" pistol handles better at the end of the carbine hand guard.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-13-17 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm interested to know how many people run their forward sling attachments (when running 2-point sling options) up near the barrel nut or out close to the end of the hand guard. Experiences? Pros and Cons of each?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Well this is weird. I find my setup can be tighter/more secure,yet allow greater range of motion hooked up to the qd near the barrel but.

1 when tight, its held higher and away from my legs
    2 I can run it around the neck when loose.
    3 I can sling it on my back quickly from either position. It ends up muzzle down so flopping is a non issue.

Whenever I try running it up front, it's always in the way.
    I do use the qd to hook it up front for shots at distance.

Anyone else experience this or am I doing it wrong?

Edit, that's with my 14.5". My 11.5" pistol handles better at the end of the carbine hand guard.
    Those observations are pretty close to mine (disclaimer: I have no carbines with barrels shorter than 16").

toc

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi88 View Post
    I'm interested to know how many people run their forward sling attachments (when running 2-point sling options) up near the barrel nut or out close to the end of the hand guard. Experiences? Pros and Cons of each?

My rifle slings are attached just forward of the barrel nut. Maybe 2-3" forward. The rear is attached to the stock.

It's worked well enough for what I use it for. Not sure if it's the best way though.

Feedback Score
    I run mine all the way out to the end of the handguard and the stock, similar to how Pat McNamara runs it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNUxv9m9nI.

To me, it provides a more stable platform when I need to quickly flip it to my back.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    I run mine all the way out to the end of the handguard and the stock, similar to how Pat McNamara runs it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNUxv9m9nI.

To me, it provides a more stable platform when I need to quickly flip it to my back.
    That's how I run mine too, but I've never ran it closer in towards the receiver so I don't know if im missing anything. I like Pat-nasty's take.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    My rifle slings are attached just forward of the barrel nut. Maybe 2-3" forward. The rear is attached to the stock.

It's worked well enough for what I use it for. Not sure if it's the best way though.
    Have you by any chance ran the attachment further out before? Just wondering if you had tried both ways and settled on the closer in method. I'm open to either, just looking for data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi88 View Post
    Have you by any chance ran the attachment further out before? Just wondering if you had tried both ways and settled on the closer in method. I'm open to either, just looking for data.

I have not gone further out.

My rifles have magpul hand guards and surefire lights in IWC mounts. I thought that attaching the sling closer to the barrel nut might help prevent the possibility of the sling interfering with use of the wml on my particular set up.

Perhaps the possible interference is theoretical only. Anyhow, that's how I settled on the attachment point on my hand guards.

As a reference, Both attachment points are in the slots closest to the receiver (most rearward slots on magpul handguards) on my handguards. One is a carbine, the other a mid length.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    I have not gone further out.

My rifles have magpul hand guards and surefire lights in IWC mounts. I thought that attaching the sling closer to the barrel nut might help prevent the possibility of the sling interfering with use of the wml on my particular set up.

Perhaps the possible interference is theoretical only. Anyhow, that's how I settled on the attachment point on my hand guards.

As a reference, Both attachment points are in the slots closest to the receiver (most rearward slots on magpul handguards) on my handguards. One is a carbine, the other a mid length.
    Good feedback, Thanks!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast