Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: best sling option

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I use this on my VCAS to make it a 2 to 1 point sling:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...sling-adaptor/

It works great.
    Thats a great idea, I'm really surprised I haven't seen that before.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    Same here.
    Yep, same thing for me tho I did put the IWC tri glide on it just in case I wanted to go single point. I just like the loop on the Ares and the feel of the material better. Also I prefer padded on any of them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The vickers 221, no pad and I love it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm still using a padded VTAC .

I also prefer the front QD to be at the beginning of the
    rail close to the receiver to keep the sling away
    from my support arm .
    I've noticed that a lot of people have their front attachment point
    much further forward . I never really got why .
    I like it to be out of the way of whatever the support arm
    needs to do .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrasks View Post

from my support arm .
    needs to do .
    Never mind the video won't embed.

If you watch the youtube video Way Of The Gun (WOTG) Gun Sling by SuperSetCA Frank explains why the front attachment point for the sling is better.
    Last edited by Berserkr556; 09-15-14 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrasks View Post

from my support arm .
    needs to do .
    I have my sling setup so I can run it any way I want, but have been running it recently at the furthest two points, like you mentioned.

Here is what's coming to mind that I've found on running it like this:

1) Stability when slung: When I sling my rifle, having it at the two ends gives me the most stability keeping it from flopping around. If I am storing it slung, I can tighten it down, tight, to my body and it isn't going to be moving anywhere.
    2) Support against myself: With my sling out front I can use it for support by tightening it down wrapping my arm through it to increase stability at longer ranges, or when proned out cinch it down to have the same affect.
    3) Support against objects: I can wrap the sling around my hand to help brace into a barricade like how Frank Proctor teaches.
    4) Transition to back: I can cinch it up a bit, and just throw my rifle over my shoulder when doing things that don't involve me shooting. Frank Proctor and Pat McNamara both utilize/teach this application.

I have never had the sling get in the way of my support arm while running it further out, if anything it has been an enabler being out there. Something interesting, is that the guys I see who recommend having it further out, Pat McNamara, Frank Proctor, Kyle Lamb, and Mike Pannone were all Army Special Forces, Delta, or both.

Feedback Score
    Birdkiller is on the right track. We teach attaching the sling forward and rearward (near the front sight and on the rear of the buttstock) as it gives the most stability while carrying and shooting. Most real users carry the carbine far more than they shoot it. We also went one step farther years ago by advocating that the rear be mounted on the outside, rather than the side next to the body. This gives even greater security while carrying and eliminates choking when transitioning from strong to support side by loosening the sling. This technique makes the 2 point very versatile as it then transitions almost as fast as a 1 point.

There is only one advantage to a front mount near the upper, and that is easier transitioning from strong to support side when your sling lacks sufficient quick adjustment range. If your 2 point sling lacks this, I suggest getting one that has longer quick adjustment.
    Dave

INNOVATION IS SELDOM ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT CONTROVERSY.
    My first rule of a gunfight, thanks to John Farnam's wise advice. "Get away from there!"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdldr View Post
    We also went one step farther years ago by advocating that the rear be mounted on the outside... This technique makes the 2 point very versatile as it then transitions almost as fast as a 1 point.
    I've been doing that regardless of the front location for a couple years now after my old boss showed it to me. It's amazing the difference it makes. In the bit of time I've run a two point, I prefer transitioning with a two point because its just a direct transition, no need to go over the sling with the stock. Only disadvantage I've seen to sling all the way out/two points in general, is it's a bit harder to go high port while fully in the sling than a single point.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Just ordered the padded 221 with red point!

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by spdldr View Post
    Birdkiller is on the right track. We teach attaching the sling forward and rearward (near the front sight and on the rear of the buttstock) as it gives the most stability while carrying and shooting. Most real users carry the carbine far more than they shoot it. We also went one step farther years ago by advocating that the rear be mounted on the outside, rather than the side next to the body. This gives even greater security while carrying and eliminates choking when transitioning from strong to support side by loosening the sling. This technique makes the 2 point very versatile as it then transitions almost as fast as a 1 point.

There is only one advantage to a front mount near the upper, and that is easier transitioning from strong to support side when your sling lacks sufficient quick adjustment range. If your 2 point sling lacks this, I suggest getting one that has longer quick adjustment.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast