Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken casing- just cheap ammo or something else?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This happened to my brother as well, same AE223 ammo, same 07 Lake City brass. I kept the case:

Feedback Score
    I guess I need to take a closer look at all my brass from that day and see if there's any more Lake City mixed in it. I'll report back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    This happened to my brother as well, same AE223 ammo, same 07 Lake City brass. I kept the case:
    this case has been reloaded. the primer crimp has been swagged.

or maybe i'm going blind.

Feedback Score
    Ok, so I just looked through a bunch of the brass I picked up that day. The vast majority is labeled 'F C' like this:

I did find two more Lake City shells, but I'm now convinced I picked those and the broken one up accidentally. I had another unopened 100 round value box of the Federal, bought on the same day with the same lot number. I went through it and there were no Lake City shells in the box. All of them were labeled F C like in the picture.

So barring any other plot twists, this case is closed for me. I just picked up the wrong shells.

Thanks for all the help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cemoulton View Post

The annealing discoloration is also mostly gone if visible at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Nope. That's someone's old reloaded brass that just let go. Not a big deal. This happens from time to time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I think also if it had occurred with your gun it would have been a memorable enough event that you wouldn't be wondering where it came from. mine was mitigated by another round loading but not going to battery, so rack it out press on, when we policed brass found the broken front half on the front of a live round. others I have observed with this issue have had it tie the gun up and carry on with broken shell extractors or cleaning brush with a 27 cal brush in place after the chamber has cooled

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. I've had all of those happen to me over the years. Probably 5 different times. Usually the primer pocket is toast before the case will separate... so it's somewhat rare if your sizing die is set right.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Nope. That's someone's old reloaded brass that just let go. Not a big deal. This happens from time to time.
    i don't get the "nope". after looking at it on my lap top instead of my phone i'm certain the crimp has been swagged out.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    i don't get the "nope". after looking at it on my lap top instead of my phone i'm certain the crimp has been swagged out.
    or maybe i'm going blind......Nope response to this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast