Thread: School me on the Ruger AC556

Feedback Score

School me on the Ruger AC556

I have several SBR's and am thinking about getting a full auto. I'd obviously like an M16, but the prices are too high for my budget. I've seen a good number of Ruger AC556's for sale. I've shot a Mini-14 and a Mini-30 before, but I understand that there is a difference in the receivers. Since I don't really know what I don't know, tell me what I need to know about the AC556. I understand that Ruger stopped servicing them. Are there other sources for parts/barrels and service? What are the pitfalls of this rifle if any? Why am I seeing such a large variation in prices for rifles that seem to be the same in similar condition? Thanks in advance?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are looking for a 5.56 caliber fullauto, I would go for an FNC over the Ac556. Nothing particularly wrong with the AC, and it was a killer option back when Ruger was sitting on a pile of transferable fullauto receivers that were used to replace damaged transferables sent in for service. It was THE ultimate insurance policy. But those replacement receivers are long gone. I believe Ruger will still service factory made transferable MGs, but they can no longer replace any transferable receivers if this was needed. The AC556K (short barrel with folding stock) has historically been the most desirable. Strangely I've heard reports of folks sending in their AC for service, said AC had been altered out of factory spec (ie swapped out for short barrel and folding stock) and Ruger restored the guns to factory spec (ie how it shipped from the factory). The AC has a thin barrel (not good for mag dumps) and it is not really all that modular. Clyde Armory does/did offer their SOCOM stock (I believe produced by Sage) for the AC556 and it looks nice. If I had an AC556, I would certainly use the Clyde Armory SAGE stock.

The FNC is Kalishnikov based. Spare barrels used to be available through Green Mountain (and may be available one day again) and FN USA made CHF replacement barrels are available through TSC Machine ($pendy though). Spare firing pins are available through a vendor in FL (custom made in SS and Ti) and RTG Parts. Small spare parts, including FCG parts, return springs, extractors, cocking handles, etc are available through RTG, Cole Distributing, and a few others. Stormwerkz makes a great picatinney optic rail. It takes AR15 mags.

I suspect one day we will see spare domestically produced bolt groups, uppers, lowers, and maybe even complete clones. If that day comes, we will see a huge jump in FNC sear prices.

A good friend has an AC556, I've shot it a bit. I have an M16 and an FNC. I would choose the FNC over the AC556 no question.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 08-25-14 at 21:32.

Feedback Score
    My second full auto was an AC556K. I bought it while I was in college. ('92-'96) Being my first was a M-11 I really went nuts with the AC and shot the crap out of it. Problem was, when I bought it most likely it was out of spec, barrel shot out,(head space) and was too inexperienced with machine guns to notice. I had a major failure and sent it to Ruger. They sent me a brand new gun with new paperwork. I guess I should say, new old stock. Even the folding stock was new. When the Ruger rep. called me, he said I was lucky, they were down to just a handful of receivers, and fewer folding stocks. I still can't bring myself to fire it. I figure one day it might make good trade material for something I can't resist.

I bought a Colt reg receiver after that, and it still has never failed me.
    Last edited by TXSlade; 09-07-14 at 23:57.

Feedback Score
    Thank you Josh for the information provided about the FNC. I'll have to find one that I can get my paws on. It's definitely nice that the barrels can be replaced.

It's too bad about Ruger no longer servicing the AC556. TXSlade, if you can't bring yourself to shoot that AC556K, perhaps I can help you out?

Feedback Score
    Several FNC sear guns out there
    I'm looking to get one soon for my first FA
    AR's more interchangeable but an AK based select fire will always be more reliable with good ammo

Feedback Score
    Lol, It just feels good seeing a NIB gun like this. I bet there isn't many out there. When I got the first one, I shot the crap out of it, I really enjoyed it, but the Colt m-16/ar-15 is even better because of I can swap uppers etc. Once a year I pull out all my stuff I don't shoot and clean it. So, I still play with it yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Thank you Josh for the information provided about the FNC. I'll have to find one that I can get my paws on. It's definitely nice that the barrels can be replaced.

It's too bad about Ruger no longer servicing the AC556. TXSlade, if you can't bring yourself to shoot that AC556K, perhaps I can help you out?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I see a lot more parts for Rutgers than FNCs.
    Sturm routinely has them pop up...here are two

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...gi?read=168903