Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Press check method

Feedback Score
    I do that method because the armorers grip method causes me to either eject the round, or cause a malfunction.

I wish all guns had front cocking serrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I just looked that up and all I have to say is WTF
    Different times...
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post

Different times...
    Yeah. I will admit I did that. Of course I was retarded enough to be running a 1911... so it all fit together perfectly!

It was the most control I ever had over the action spring... unfortunately there were TWO things wrong.. you're in the trigger guard, and you're sticking your finger where it'd get cooked if problem #1 went bad.-
    Last edited by markm; 08-27-14 at 16:02.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's a perfect pic of it.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
    Ok, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I've been seeing this enough to make me wonder about this. Why do so many people press check by wrapping their thumb over the top of the slide between the chamber and front sight to pull back the slide a bit? I've always just used the slingshot grip on the rear of the slide. Seems to me this eliminates the need for front cocking serrations, and keeps your hand further from the muzzle (yes, I know...finger off the trigger is key).

Am I missing something here that I should try it?
    I speculate that when you curl your fingers (choking the slide) while doing so, it gives you a "limit" so that you don't eject your round. Now when people do this with their fingers bladed or straight that it offers less advantage and looks cool.

I do feel I have less control to press check from the rear of the slide and prefer to reach under the dust cover to grab the the front of slide also giving myself a "limit".

Edit: Hard to do with a laser/light on the gun though.
    Last edited by Savior 6; 08-27-14 at 16:23. Reason: Added content
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Ive unchambered a round when ive aggressively press checked from the rear of the gun. It is even easier on lightly sprung competition guns.

Press checking from the front gives more control over the total travel of the slide, ie you can only retract the slide a certain amount.

To each their own, there is no one way to do this.
    +1 on this.
    Btw, the VP9 is a press-checkers dream releases out of battery really easy!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWCRaiden View Post
    Now I'm curious.

Just googled this too...I can't wrap my head around it.
    Also done by Al Pacino in the movie Heat before they perform a raid. Robert DeNiro does a different type of press check in an elavator before he does an assasination as well.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. I will admit I did that. Of course I was retarded enough to be running a 1911... so it all fit together perfectly!

It was the most control I ever had over the action spring... unfortunately there were TWO things wrong.. you're in the trigger guard, and you're sticking your finger where it'd get cooked if problem #1 went bad.-
    Not a fan of 1911's?
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

I've been shooting 1911s for over 35 years and I've never seen anyone do that except in the movies and couldn't amagine anyone doing it in real life.

If I went to a class or course and the instructor recommended doing this I would find a new instructor.

Paul

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

I've been shooting 1911s for over 35 years and I've never seen anyone do that except in the movies and couldn't amagine anyone doing it in real life.

If I went to a class or course and the instructor recommended doing this I would find a new instructor.

Paul
    It does violate pretty much every gun safety rule. I agree.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    I was exposed to press checking from the front, and in general, from the competition world. A lot of competition guys I know will do all their slide manipulations from the front including: loading, press check, unload, malfunction clearance, etc. the argument is that it's faster, which if you can get a solid grip, not pinch your hand, and not shoot yourself it is. I'm pretty sure Frank Proctor works his slide manipulations from the front as well.

So just stipulation, but I think it's possible that the front press check may partially come from guys that work the front of their slide for all manipulations.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast