Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horizontal Dispersion - Need Opinions

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The load is NOT that hot. So I wouldn't discount some wind over a 200 yard shot.

I'm running .6 more grains with all else (component wise) equal... and that's still a .223 pressure load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The load is NOT that hot. So I wouldn't discount some wind over a 200 yard shot.

I'm running .6 more grains with all else (component wise) equal... and that's still a .223 pressure load.
    Max for 77gr bullets @ 223 pressure is 21.8gr H322. He's running 22.0gr. Going slightly above max hasn't shown any pressure signs in my rifle, so his load isn't that hot (as you said).

I haven't had the chance to run any of the hotter H322 loads over a chrono yet, but .6gr over his 22.0gr load seems like it would be pretty dang hot for such a fast powder.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 08-27-14 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    Max for 77gr bullets @ 223 pressure is 21.8gr H322. He's running 22.0.

I haven't had the chance to running any of the hotter H322 loads over a chrono yet, but 22.6 seems like it would be pretty dang hot.
    Oops... you're right... My mind was a full grain lower. He's a touch over max.... so he's running a tad hotter than I am.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Due to forecasted T-Storms this weekend I managed to get my work done with the rifle this evening...

First checked for anything wrong with the rifle itself and could find nothing.

Showed a few pics of my groups to my BR family members, and they all agreed that I was "shooting a weather report" as many of you suggested.

All three of us then shot the rifle, at 100, 200, and 300 w/ flags, spotter, all the good stuff. What did we find? Exactly what most all of you said, wind.

All of my precision shooting prior to this rifle had been done with either my 300 wm or a 30BR, and I thought that I was at least capable at reading the wind. Seeing the way these little 77gr projectiles get pushed around by even a mild breeze was a real eye opener for me. Truthfully I am glad this was simply an error on my part and not something in the rifle or load. Hopefully more shooting with this load will help me improve my ability to read the wind and compensate.

Thank you all again for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by masan; 08-28-14 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats on finding the problem. Wind is the great equalizer at a benchrest match.

Even with the best equipment if you can not read the wind you wont go home with a trophy.

And a AR is a hard gun to shoot off the bags.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    And a AR is a hard gun to shoot off the bags.
    Smooth tube and an A2 stocked fixed most of that

Feedback Score
    We'll since we've resurrected this 3-year-old thread...

Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Seeing the way these little 77gr projectiles get pushed around by even a mild breeze was a real eye opener for me...
    I've been shooting a 17HMR a lot lately. You want to see bullets get pushed around by wind? The little 15.5gr crumbs don't stand a chance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow. I bet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Yeah, I was a little surprised to see this thread again as well.

I actually started competing in Benchrest a little over a year ago. I shot over 20 registered International Benchrest Shooting matches last year and I am still only scratching the surface of precision shooting.

It has been a real eye opener, and a real blast.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Yeah sorry, no idea how I'd done that...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123