Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: New Beretta 92G

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Ha ha. I thought I was nearly alone in busting out the fine point Sharpie on the rear dot sights. My new 92A1 will be getting that treatment this week.
    You're definitely not alone. I take acetone to the dots and do my very best to remove them entirely.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    You're definitely not alone. I take acetone to the dots and do my very best to remove them entirely.

Unless you're extremely familiar with a particular handgun this would be a questionable decision for most. As you probably know while nearly all rifles don't use them they're there for a reason on a handgun, primarily due to lack of stability.

While we'd likely agree that familiarity led you to this viewpoint, can you explain what you find to be the downside of having them is?
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Unless you're extremely familiar with a particular handgun this would be a questionable decision for most. As you probably know while nearly all rifles don't use them they're there for a reason on a handgun, primarily due to lack of stability.

While we'd likely agree that familiarity led you to this viewpoint, can you explain what you find to be the downside of having them is?
    It's pretty well proven that 3 dot sights are slower and harder to find the front sight than a single dot front with a plain black rear. A single dot front setup allows the shooter to focus on the front sight more effectively.

I honestly can't think of any reason to run a set of 3 dot sights on a handgun.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This will be the setup my 92A1 has when I get it back.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    How about low light conditions?
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    It's pretty well proven that 3 dot sights are slower and harder to find the front sight than a single dot front with a plain black rear. A single dot front setup allows the shooter to focus on the front sight more effectively.

Having met a ton of people who kick my ass while using 3 dot sights, I would really like to see the data proving they are slower. That said, there is quite a bit of variability in 3 dot sights design and visual presentation, and I don't think they all should be lumped together. I personally don't care for them and I do black out rear dots as well, and to me that works out a ton better.

For low light I prefer vertical straight 8s, but I'll be exploring a newer 3 dot setup with subdued rear dots soon.
    Last edited by YVK; 09-24-14 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    How about low light conditions?
    Weapon light plus front night sight works great. If you really want 3 dots at night only the Trijicon HD's look like a solid choice.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Having met a ton of people who kick my ass while using 3 dot sights, I would really like to see the data proving they are slower. That said, there is quite a bit of variability in 3 dot sights design and visual presentation, and I don't think they all should be lumped together. I personally don't care for them and I do black out rear dots as well, and to me that works out a ton better.

For low light I prefer vertical straight 8s, but I'll be exploring a newer 3 dot setup with subdued rear dots soon.
    I believe it was Grant who recently posted about everyone in a class taping the rear sight and then running drills faster on a timer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm striking out on finding the thread about taping over the dots on the rear sights. Maybe Grant will chime in (if that was him who I recall posting about it).

Personally I have found my drills to be faster with a black rear and green front (either fiber optic or tritium). But if 3 dots work for you and you don't end up picking up on the rear sight instead of the front, rock on.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I like all black sights. Did all my low/no light training with 'em.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This entire page has been about sight preferences...... Geez.

Is anyone excited the new 92G's are out? Any new owners yet?

I was impatient and sent a M9A1 to Wilson. But glad I did. Will get exactly what I wanted.

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast