Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steps to replace a flash hider properly?

Feedback Score

Steps to replace a flash hider properly?

Hi all,

I ordered my first BCM upper recently, and it's coming with their BCM Mod0 Comp already installed. I'd like to try a simple A2 flash hider. What is the proper procedure for changing a flash hider, and what tools will I need for the job? Thanks.

Chris

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

I ordered my first BCM upper recently, and it's coming with their BCM Mod0 Comp already installed. I'd like to try a simple A2 flash hider. What is the proper procedure for changing a flash hider, and what tools will I need for the job? Thanks.

Chris
    Try the comp first. I kills flash pretty well.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Try the comp first. I kills flash pretty well.

C4
    I definitely will, Grant. Just planning ahead. I normally wouldn't have gone with a comp at all due to increased blast (just use an A2), but the BCM upper sale had the comp already installed.

By the way... thanks for the fast processing and shipping on my new BCM lower.
    Last edited by Chris17404; 08-27-14 at 12:38.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I definitely will, Grant. Just planning ahead. I normally wouldn't have gone with a comp at all due to increased blast (just use an A2), but the BCM upper sale had the comp already installed.

By the way... thanks for the fast processing and shipping on my new BCM lower.
    You actually need several tools to do it PROPERLY so I would suggest taking it to a professional armorer.

As the shooter, you won't notice any increased blast.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'll take one for the team and Trade you an A2 for that comp.

(find someone with a Geissele reaction rod to do the swap)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Hi all,

Chris
    A sturdy workbench, good vise, aluminum jaw inserts, wrench that fits the comp and a new crush washer. Depending on the hand guard, barrel and gas length you may also need the tools to RR the rail to have enough barrel to grab. You are probably better off doing what Grant said...
    Last edited by GH41; 08-27-14 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    A sturdy workbench, good vise, aluminum jaw inserts, wrench that fits the comp and a new crush washer. Depending on the hand guard, barrel and gas length you may also need the tools to RR the rail to have enough barrel to grab. You are probably better off doing what Grant said...
    If you have the proper tools it is easy peasy.
    User ID: 298

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Key words in red. Be sure to clamp the barrel in a vice. Do not use a receiver block or you take a chance of screwing the barrel out of the extension or shearing the locating pin.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive used both, I personally dont notice much of any difference in blast or muzzle flash between the two. And recoil reduction is so subjective from shooter to shooter and gun to gun that I dont know if it can even be used as a "this is better than that" argument.

I personally wouldnt go through any trouble at all to swap from the BCM comp to an A2 at least without shooting them.

Its not like the BCM comp is a muzzle brake.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My first muzzle device install involved a bundle if mousepads, a towel, and careful tightening on a benchvice until it JUST didn't move around when I wrenched the old A2 off. My accuracy was not affected and I didn't mar the barrel. I now use a Reaction Rod and suggest that you buy the same or the Brownells tool.
    Last edited by Shao; 09-17-14 at 10:54.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast