Thread: Help me identify this 1911A1

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Help me identify this 1911A1

My cousin asked me to dig up some info on a 1911 he came across. A serial number search on Colt's website says it's circa 1944. Info found with a google search points out that the 7790314 on the slide indicates the slide may not be original. Also, the format of the serial number indicates the frame may not be Colt manufacture. Any info on this pistol and what it might be worth are appreciated!

Markings:
    -Right side-
    NO 1912797
    UNITED STATES PROPERTY M1911A1 U.S. ARMY
    'P' and horizontal 'S' on trigger guard
    Strange symbol behind the top of the grip panel.
    -Left side-
    'B' on trigger guard and 'P' next to mag release.
    'FJA' under slide stop.
    7790314 on slide

Last edited by Eric D.; 10-05-14 at 13:55.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    At least according to this site, http://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm, it's a 1944 Remington Rand frame. I've never seen a 1911 with a SN on the slide like that, but it's obviously a Colt slide. An earlier owner may have had an issue with the slide or may have just come across the frame minus a slide then added on to make a complete pistol.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    7790314 is the US Army's part drawing number for the M1911A1 slide, not a serial number.

This slide also has the 7790314 drawing number on the left but this Contractor and Government Entity (CAGE) Code number for NUMAX Electronics:

A contractor making or winning a bid might have their CAGE code stamped on the part (for instance M9 pistol barrels stamped 3S69 indicate they were made by FN Manufacturing in Columbia, South Carolina).

With the data above the pistol is most probably a re-built 1944 Remington-Rand.

Feedback Score

Cool

Most likely a National Match "hard" slide made for use on military shooting teams pistols by various manufacturers. The number on this slide (left side) is an Ordnance part number. The manufactures name or five-digit code number would be on the right side. I have a similar one made by Colt in the early 1960s. My slide number is 7791435 preceded by "NM". The Colt name, etc is on the left.

ETA
    Some more info is here: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/nm.htm
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 10-05-14 at 20:21.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Colt, Drake, IMI, and other National Match (7791435) slides most often had the slanted cocking/grasping grooves to distinguish them from standard slides.

In 1954 the Army began to experiment with match grade pistols. As they learned what improved accuracy and what the shooters preferred, changes were made. Some of the early Army National Match pistols had variations such as plastic triggers or rubber front strap covers. Large fixed rear sights were standard with micro adj. sights as an option by 1959.

Hard slides were made for these pistols. The early slides were made by Colt with normal Colt markings. Colt’s second Match slide was unmarked on the left side except for part # 7790314 . The third type slide had serrations like the Gold Cup and the Part # 791435. This slide was also made by the Drake Manufacturing Co. These pistols were periodically returned to the Armory and updated. The latter triggers were made of aluminum. Production was halted by the closing of Springfield Armory.

“Around 1957 or 1958 several commercial gunsmiths submitted guns for testing to see how they compared with the National Match guns turned out by Springfield Armory. As I recall (remember this was more than 40 years ago), the only gunsmith whose gun topped the NM guns was George Elliason from Detroit, MI. Anyway, Jack Maple invented some of the tools used by other gunsmiths to accurize the M1911.” – Robert Pruden

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Colt, Drake, IMI, and other National Match (7791435) slides most often had the slanted cocking/grasping grooves to distinguish them from standard slides.
    Mine has the slanted serrations.

This slide is on a late model Colt "Series 70" frame.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Thanks for the help guys!
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology