Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: STI vs Wilson Combat?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've owned a few 1911's and used them during military service. I own 5 Wilson Combat pistols and a Colt TALO New Agent. I have owned other Colts, Springfield Armory, and Kimber 1911s. I daily carry either the New Agent or WC Bobtail Professional. I use my 1911's. They were purchased because they are well made, reliable and accurate - not for show. When I cycle the slide on any of my WC 1911s they feel like they are moving on roller bearings - don't know how else to explain it. Are they worth more than an STI - in my estimation yes but many will disagree. You need to compare them side by side by handling them and shooting them to make a valid comparison.

As to problems with 1911s, other than "people" induced and lack of lubrication, the magazine is the culprit. Use 7 rounds magazines in the full size 1911 and less problems. If you have to have 8 rounds buy a "high" quality magazine - always confuses me when people spend 100s of dollars on a 1911 then want cheap magazines.

Why do I carry an expensive 1911 - helps me to control my anger - always ask myself "Is it worth loosing the 1911 to the police?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
    As to problems with 1911s, other than "people" induced and lack of lubrication, the magazine is the culprit.
    The magazine is absolutely the heart of any semi-automatic firearm. That said, many a 1911 has shipped from various companies with fundamental issues in their manufacturer and assembly. Companies like Kimber didn't built up such a notorious reputation due solely to user error.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've owned a few 1911's and used them during military service. I own 5 Wilson Combat pistols and a Colt TALO New Agent. I have owned other Colts, Springfield Armory, and Kimber 1911s. I daily carry either the New Agent or WC Bobtail Professional. I use my 1911's. They were purchased because they are well made, reliable and accurate - not for show. When I cycle the slide on any of my WC 1911s they feel like they are moving on roller bearings - don't know how else to explain it. Are they worth more than an STI - in my estimation yes but many will disagree. You need to compare them side by side by handling them and shooting them to make a valid comparison.

As to problems with 1911s, other than "people" induced and lack of lubrication, the magazine is the culprit. Use 7 rounds magazines in the full size 1911 and less problems. If you have to have 8 rounds buy a "high" quality magazine - always confuses me when people spend 100s of dollars on a 1911 then want cheap magazines.

Why do I carry an expensive 1911 - helps me to control my anger - always ask myself "Is it worth loosing the 1911 to the police?"
    My question was not about the quality of WC, I was trying to find out what makes them worth twice what the other gun I was looking at cost. We all know WC is top of the line. I asked this question on a WC forum as well. From them all I got was comments like "you would not understand" and "fit and finish" Seems like they were just a bunch of guys that like looking at their guns. Nothing wrong with that. I am a shooter my guns get dinged and scratched. I don't need to pay extra for show. I did buy an STI, it has been a great gun so far, 3 or 4 hundred rounds so far maybe more. I really wanted to be talked into the WC, but the attitude of the WC fanboys made me go the other way. I own 4 STI's now, great guns at a fair price. I may buy another.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    The magazine is absolutely the heart of any semi-automatic firearm. That said, many a 1911 has shipped from various companies with fundamental issues in their manufacturer and assembly. Companies like Kimber didn't built up such a notorious reputation due solely to user error.
    This is funny to me. I own 3 Kimbers one since 2000, have shot thousands of rounds through them. They all work as they should. They could use and have had some upgrades but nothing in the reliability dept. I have changes sights and mainspring housings nothing more. Just don't like plastic MSH.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGREID View Post
    My question was not about the quality of WC, I was trying to find out what makes them worth twice what the other gun I was looking at cost. We all know WC is top of the line. I asked this question on a WC forum as well. From them all I got was comments like "you would not understand" and "fit and finish" Seems like they were just a bunch of guys that like looking at their guns. Nothing wrong with that. I am a shooter my guns get dinged and scratched. I don't need to pay extra for show. I did buy an STI, it has been a great gun so far, 3 or 4 hundred rounds so far maybe more. I really wanted to be talked into the WC, but the attitude of the WC fanboys made me go the other way. I own 4 STI's now, great guns at a fair price. I may buy another.
    So in a month and a half you've bought 4 STI's. Glad you are happy with their quality - accuracy and reliability. On the 1911 forum, if you ask in WC sub-forum you have to expect those responses. If you asked in the STI sub-forum you would get different responses.

URL to same question in 1911 forum: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=466451
    Last edited by CRT2; 09-30-14 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    Wilson Combat makes a good gun, and they have great advertising.

Lately they have been busy with Glocks, Berettas, AR's, and shotguns.

I'd send my money towards Springfield's custom shop, Guncrafter Industries, or Ed Brown.

Wilson pays a lot of money to say their guns are the best. I have one, it's not all that.
    In the future, PMAGs will be the currency standard.

Feedback Score
    So in a month and a half you've bought 4 STI's. Glad you are happy with their quality - accuracy and reliability. On the 1911 forum, if you ask in WC sub-forum you have to expect those responses. If you asked in the STI sub-forum you would get different responses.

URL to same question in 1911 forum: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=466451
    Yeah CRT2, it hasn't even been 1.5 month, so in 1 month and 2 or 3 days he bought a STI and then was so Blown away with how bad @$$ it is he bought 3 more... as of today....
    Or have we both missed something here..

Must be nice to be able to buy 4 whatever brand of semi-Autos you choose, strange thing is IF You REALLY bought 4 guns in 30-32 days... money doesn't seem to be an issue for you... I just Can't seem to believe you are serious with the question and that You are not able to grasp the difference in value between the 2...?
    To me, it appears you are just wanting to start and stir some shit... FWIW as much as I'd love to be able to own a WC... Just not in the cards for me at this time...

Funny (as in; I don't understand the extreme in the other direction) thing is, My Boss who I know dam well easily makes Well into 6 figures a year (and deserves every bit of it) and he talks as if OMG $800 to $1,000 for a gun, OH My that is just Too Much!
    And I'm LMAO inside thinking Dam Good thing he doesn't know how much money I have in guns!

Feedback Score
    The thing that sums up the difference between WC and all the rest, for me, is the test fire procedure that WC puts their 1911's through....almost 100 rounds, 3 types of ammo( ball, lead SWC, and HP's) in 3 types of magazines( 7, 8 and 10 rnd mags). If the gun fails, it goes back on the bench of the smith that built it.....and it goes BACK through the test fire procedure.

NO BODY goes to these lengths!

No wonder WC started their own ammo company!
    Best,

Will

Will Fennell
    TEAM USA
    TEAM Krieghoffwww.halkguns.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVTMaverick View Post
    Yeah CRT2, it hasn't even been 1.5 month, so in 1 month and 2 or 3 days he bought a STI and then was so Blown away with how bad @$$ it is he bought 3 more... as of today....
    Or have we both missed something here..

Must be nice to be able to buy 4 whatever brand of semi-Autos you choose, strange thing is IF You REALLY bought 4 guns in 30-32 days... money doesn't seem to be an issue for you... I just Can't seem to believe you are serious with the question and that You are not able to grasp the difference in value between the 2...?
    To me, it appears you are just wanting to start and stir some shit... FWIW as much as I'd love to be able to own a WC... Just not in the cards for me at this time...

Funny (as in; I don't understand the extreme in the other direction) thing is, My Boss who I know dam well easily makes Well into 6 figures a year (and deserves every bit of it) and he talks as if OMG $800 to $1,000 for a gun, OH My that is just Too Much!
    And I'm LMAO inside thinking Dam Good thing he doesn't know how much money I have in guns!
    Since neither of you read my posts. I had 3 STI's and was looking for a carry gun, my others are match guns. Since all you WC fanboys couldn't give me a good reason to spend twice as much for the WC I bought another STI. Funny thing is I really wanted the WC until I asked my questions.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGREID View Post
    Since neither of you read my posts. I had 3 STI's and was looking for a carry gun, my others are match guns. Since all you WC fanboys couldn't give me a good reason to spend twice as much for the WC I bought another STI. Funny thing is I really wanted the WC until I asked my questions.
    Read and re-read your posts and I see you own 3 Kimbers. Can't find 3 STIs. When I answered your question you informed me quality wasn't what you are looking for. Your choice of word. Since your mind is made up I do not believe any response supporting Wilson Combat would satisfy you. Again, your choice. And, if you get your jollies off baiting people with questions you really don't want an answer to, also your choice. However, do it enough times and you will be met with silence.

And again, I'm glad you are satisfied with your STI.
    Last edited by CRT2; 10-01-14 at 16:12.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast