Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature and life expectancy of CR123 batteries

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Temperature and life expectancy of CR123 batteries

Assuming quality CR123 batteries, how does the ambient temperature affect them? Does it at all? In what ways? I've tried googling this but it comes up that the batteries get hot during use.

I'm specifically referring to keeping a CR123-fed light in a vehicle in the Florida sun. Would daily temp swings from 80* at night (yes, our low temperature is ~81*) to 150* during the day cause problems? How soon?

What about when it gets wicked cold in the winter and the interior is 45* at night but the sun still heats the interior to well over 120*?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've kept them in my truck here in AZ for extended periods/seasons, and they don't seem to be significantly impacted.

There may be some degradation, but nothing I could notice. I'd end up grabbing my truck light and running the hell out of it in the desert on night shoots, and I never was let down by the CR123s
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My short answer, buy Surefire brand CR123 at this point in time. Panasonic brand fry and lose their charge in Missouri Summer heat in a black small cab truck. My Surefire's have yet to dump their charge when exposed to the same temperature for the same duration.

I'm going to give Rayovac Lithium a chance on an unmounted weapon light in the same cab.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I try to avoid buying anything with SUREFIRE on it if at all possible. I work too hard to fund the lush furnishings in their executive suites. You can get good selections on batreeze at the online battery stores... batterystation, batteryjunction, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    My short answer, buy Surefire brand CR123 at this point in time. Panasonic brand fry and lose their charge in Missouri Summer heat in a black small cab truck. My Surefire's have yet to dump their charge when exposed to the same temperature for the same duration.

I'm going to give Rayovac Lithium a chance on an unmounted weapon light in the same cab.
    I'm pretty sure that the Surefires are rebranded Panasonics.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have been doing an experiment with a Surefire G3 in my vehicle in Texas. Low temps this winter got below 20, and it stayed below freezing for about 10 days. For a couple of weeks in the summer, the ambient temperature never drops below a hundred. But it's been a really cool summer this year so - we've only had a dozen days over 100 degrees.

That flashlight still runs after 3 years now with that same set of batteries. I just test it once a month on payday. The other three flashlights in the car get a regular battery rotation. I do them when the Daylight Saving Time starts and ends. I have a rotation system like that for all the battery-powered doodads. Smoke detectors, weapon lights, Aimpoints, etc.

Feedback Score
    If I recall correctly, US made CR123 batteries are produced almost exclusively by Panasonic who also produces the cells relabeled and sold as Streamlight, Surefire, Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac and Battery Station batteries; with a maximum storage temperature between -20 degrees to 45 degrees Celsius and an ideal stable storage temperature between 5 to 35 degrees Celsius with <70% humidity.
    I can't say for certain how sudden or severe the loss of capacity will be in your situation compared to the standard self discharge, but having lived in the CA desert I have learned that certain things should not be left in a hot car -for instance, water bottles will melt and leak, then promptly evaporate and turn your car into a mobile sauna, glass thermometers left on your dashboard will explode and stain your interior in a pattern reminiscent of a crappy Jackson Pollock, etc. In the end I have taken to simply carrying my flashlight with me.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gun71530 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Surefires are rebranded Panasonics.
    Quote Originally Posted by lobstradomus View Post
    If I recall correctly, US made CR123 batteries are produced almost exclusively by Panasonic who also produces the cells relabeled and sold as Streamlight, Surefire, Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac and Battery Station batteries; with a maximum storage temperature between -20 degrees to 45 degrees Celsius and an ideal stable storage temperature between 5 to 35 degrees Celsius with <70% humidity.
    I can't say for certain how sudden or severe the loss of capacity will be in your situation compared to the standard self discharge, but having lived in the CA desert I have learned that certain things should not be left in a hot car -for instance, water bottles will melt and leak, then promptly evaporate and turn your car into a mobile sauna, glass thermometers left on your dashboard will explode and stain your interior in a pattern reminiscent of a crappy Jackson Pollock, etc. In the end I have taken to simply carrying my flashlight with me.
    It's interesting information, and just goes to show that I shouldn't have let one bad experience color my judgement on the brand. You learn something new everyday.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I try to avoid buying anything with SUREFIRE on it if at all possible. I work too hard to fund the lush furnishings in their executive suites. You can get good selections on batreeze at the online battery stores... batterystation, batteryjunction, etc.
    I pay $20/12 and have yet to find anything meaningfully cheaper.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lobstradomus View Post
    I disagree. Performance graphs for different us made cr123 batteries differ. Panasonic may make them, but if so, they build to spec and there Is a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast