Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR 15 SBR Choices and Decisions

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I haven't tried the LMT Enhanced carrier yet, but the experiences of folks like Grant show it's a noticeable improvement over the standard carrier.]
    The LMT enhanced carrier choked up Pappabears LMT 10.5. It's not supposed to run in a shorty like that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The LMT enhanced carrier choked up Pappabears LMT 10.5. It's not supposed to run in a shorty like that.
    That's why Grant's success with it had me scratching my head. But the enhanced carrier with a regular bolt was key to getting his shorty up and running the way he wanted it-

...How can the LMT Enhanced Carrier make this big of a difference??? Remember that the gun would NOT EJECT the casing at ALL with the standard BCG, but with the Enhanced Carrier I could run all the way up to an H3 buffer and it would eject and pick up the next round...
    Grant's thread is a gold mine of information
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think the variable that made Grant's work was the addition of the can. Running a plain, unsuppressed shorty with the LMT enhanced can be problematic.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Extremely familiar with 50 LMT 10.5's with several thousands of rounds through them. I run one full time. I also have tens of thousands of rounds via 10.3" Colt variations without issue also. The LMT and Colts ran H buffers and a variety of ammo types without issue.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've used the LMT enhanced carrier in three different 10.5" uppers without a single issue suppressed or not. That said, I can't really say it's something you need. The important thing, as mentioned, is getting the gas feed tuned in if it has a huge gas port to start with. While the adjustable gas blocks are nice, I've been trying out a LP gas block that comes with a small port you can drill out to whatever size you need. It requires a little work and a numbered drill bit set, but the block is only $20 and unless you plan to constantly adjust the gas I think it's a better way to go.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I prefer 11.5 over 10.5 for 5.56 if I have the choice.
    The little bump in velocity and stabilization helps. Not tremendously, mind you, but the advantage is there.
    They also seem to be a little easier to run interchangeably with and without a suppressor without needing to change buffers/springs.
    12.5 is ok, but starts to get really close to 14.5 as far as handling.
    Bear in mind that I am comparing longer handguard equipped 11.5s to Mk18 type 10.3/10.5 guns, so I'm not really working with an apples to apples comparison in the handling/accessory mounting category.

For .300 BLK, I like a 9.5 barrel, but deviating from 5.56 is not always worth the squeeze.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I think the variable that made Grant's work was the addition of the can. Running a plain, unsuppressed shorty with the LMT enhanced can be problematic.
    Quite the opposite-

With the suppressor off, I loaded one round into the mag and fired the weapon. No brass came out. Hmmm. I pulled back the CH and ejected the spent casing. I removed H3 buffer and installed an H2 and tried it again. No joy. Removed the H2 and went to an H buffer. Still no luck. Removed the H and installed a Car Buffer. Again, no luck...I removed the Fail Zero BCG and installed the LMT Enhanced Carrier and Standard Bolt. I kept the SS buffer spring and Car Buffer. The suppressor is still off the weapon. I loaded one round and fired the weapon! VICTORY! The casing ejected from the weapon!
    The enhanced carrier allowed Grant to use the smallest gas port needed to get the shorty running where the standard carrier would not. Keep in mind that Grant used a standard bolt. If I recall, the enhanced bolt proved to be problematic
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Quite the opposite
    Grant's has an adjustable block though... critical difference. Pappa's gun was a stock LMT 10.5. He texted me all crapped out because it wouldn't run for shit.....

After thinking on it for a bit and remembering that I'd read the E carriers were not designed for shorter carbines, I got back at him and sure enough... he'd put one of those turds in the gun. Swapped it out and problem solved.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I would say with the MK18 these days its almost necessary to have an adjustable gas block if your even thinking about running a can. But they do eat all sorts of ammo with the port size unsuppressed. Like Jack, I also choose the 11.5's. Longer handguards are a factor for me also.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Get an 11.5". I have enhanced carriers in my 11.5" upper and 12.5" and they run 100% suppressed and unsuppressed.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast