Thread: Question Regarding Rifle Tactical Lights...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question Regarding Rifle Tactical Lights...

Although I have owned pistols throughout the years this is my first AR rifle. I ordered an Inforce WML HSP from BCM and have a question in regards to positioning. I located it at the 3:00 position of a 13" Troy Vtac rail which is in perfect position of where my index finger goes. I have full control of the light, but is it a no-no to be using your index finger as opposed to your thumb? If I mount it at the 9:00 position I can use my thumb, however I would have to move it or adjust my ordinary weak hand position to use it. Sorry for the noob question... I'm taking it out to my range this weekend and want to look cool!
    Last edited by ghostsup; 08-29-14 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Is 3:00 looking at the light when the gun is mounted? If so you must have Ape hands to work a Enforce WML at that position with your index finger!! Are you left handed? Do you even have the light yet? I run mine at 10:30 on a HSP offset mount and work it with my thumb but it's a decision only you can make.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Where does you're support hand thumb sit when you grip the hand guard now?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Whatever you can run easily, especially if it's intuitive to run bleary-eyed in the dark, works. I like the ability to run ambidextrous, which dictates a lot of where I tend to run WML's, but there are some great trainers that run some stuff that to me initially would be weird (see Kyle Defoor's TLR-3 preferred setup).

Again, primary consideration is can you run the gun and manage recoil well, then from that hand position how can you actuate a light intuitively without altering that grip: this is why there are so many options, and why it's a good idea to try a bunch of options until something just works.

[For my part, I run 12:00 mounting on all my lights: usually an X300 in front of DD Fixed Front sight or FSB; or a SF Scout/VTAC L4 Scout setup ran in the same spot with offset irons]
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yes, when looking down sight the light is mounted at 3:00. Not sure if you have ever held a VTAC rail before GH41, but they are pretty slim. I hold my thumb just over the top of the rail, hence my other fingers are at about the 3:00 position on the other side. I appreciate the advice TehLlama, I did a google search of Kyle Defoor and did take note of his position. Frank Proctor (another trainer) also runs a similar setup but is more at the 1 to 2:00 position but he actually uses his thumb by stretching it across the top of the rail to the other side.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostsup View Post
    Although I have owned pistols throughout the years this is my first AR rifle. I ordered an Inforce WML HSP from BCM and have a question in regards to positioning. I located it at the 3:00 position of a 13" Troy Vtac rail which is in perfect position of where my index finger goes. I have full control of the light, but is it a no-no to be using your index finger as opposed to your thumb? If I mount it at the 9:00 position I can use my thumb, however I would have to move it or adjust my ordinary weak hand position to use it. Sorry for the noob question... I'm taking it out to my range this weekend and want to look cool!
    you probably have to try actually shooting while actuating the light. rifles have a little less recoil than handguns, but trying to keep a switch depressed under recoil for a handgun makes you realize why the surefire devgru switch exists.

obviously the problem is less pronounced on a rifle, but actually trying it (in daylight or no light) is going to actually tell you if the set up works for you or not. it may be the case that you need a light that has a remote switch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    you probably have to try actually shooting while actuating the light. rifles have a little less recoil than handguns, but trying to keep a switch depressed under recoil for a handgun makes you realize why the surefire devgru switch exists.

obviously the problem is less pronounced on a rifle, but actually trying it (in daylight or no light) is going to actually tell you if the set up works for you or not. it may be the case that you need a light that has a remote switch.
    Solid advice. Since I originally posted I purchased a 45 degree adapter that I am playing around with in different positions.

Feedback Score
    Best advice I can offer is to go out and shoot it. Dry runs inside can help initially, but nothing beats actual time on the range, jamming the rifle into cover (walls, cars, VTAC 9-hole barricades, etc.) and seeing what works. I've seen lights over the years go from 6 o'clock, to the sides (9 and 3), to the top at 12, and now the high offset (1:30, 10:30) seems to be in favor. Every shooter has different length arms, different levels of flexibility, and different requirements for their rifles (some agency weapons have lasers or have short handguards that cannot be modified). What works for one may not for another.

I suggest taking a low/no-light course from one of the many vetted instructors people have reviewed here. From my experience I prefer a 12 o'clock mount because I want to be able to use support from cover without damaging the light, having the rifle bounce as it fires, or having light splash back on my (blinding me and giving away my location). If 12 isn't an option I go to the right side, but as high up as possible. I'm right handed and am pretty good at finding spots where I don't have to change shoulders.

As for your question about being acceptable to use your finger vice the thumb... go check out Kyle Defoor's youtube videos, etc. He uses a Streamlight, but does exactly what you are talking about. His light allows the thumb over top, or the index finger underneath.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.