Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AR500 Plates good to go?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFshirt View Post
    I am really curious to see their new line of level 4 plates get tested.
    I just took a glance at the plate. They never specify who, or how the plate was tested, thus how the Level IV rating is established. Further, the back of the plate specifies the threat rating is, "Level IV Special Threat Tested, 7.62x63 M2AP".

I would want to know the following before spending my money:
    -Who performed the testing to establish this level of protection?
    -What protocol was used to perform this testing?
    -Was this plate only tested against M2AP, or were other threats tested against as well?
    -Why use Special Threat testing, as opposed to the NIJ established Level IV testing protocols?

Feedback Score
    Not sure if you're dead set on steel or if it's the price driving you here. One thing that seems to drive the really high cost is the name/brand protection that comes with buying from long established manufacturers. But more importantly, those who've been in the game for a long time are constantly making steps towards thinner, lighter, less cumbersome armor. Much the way BCM and DD et all are making their own improvements on function of parts, think the A2 grip vs all the new grips available from each.

If it's price vs protection, there's enough of a solid counter argument against steel that I'd almost not even consider it. Maybe if you're a SHTF thinker who is looking for basic and easy backup carriers for family or to build your indigenous military. But then again..

For the cost of a steel plate of questionable performance, you can go to HighCom Security website and get their Lvl4 stand alone plates in the SAPI variety and using coupon code "ARMOR", get a no shit NIJ tested SAPI plate for around $160 depending on size you ordered. I can tell you they are lighter and more comfortable than the more expensive SAPI plates I have from a variety of other better known manufacturers. I have been using these since I was turned to them a while back.

Link: http://highcomsecurity.com/products/guardian-4sas-15
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    For the cost of a steel plate of questionable performance, you can go to HighCom Security website and get their Lvl4 stand alone plates in the SAPI variety and using coupon code "ARMOR", get a no shit NIJ tested SAPI plate for around $160 depending on size you ordered.
    Link: http://highcomsecurity.com/products/guardian-4sas-15
    You need to look a little closer before posting this. Per their website: "Multi-curve shape is sold as independently tested according to NIJ 0101.06 standard" So while their single curve is NIJ certified their multi-curve is not NIJ certified. I just thought this should be pointed out.

Buying armor can be confusing to say the least. There's a vast amount of information that needs to be learned before buying. I personally will pass on any armor that is not NIJ certified. I don't accept independently certified as an answer. I certainly don't accept Joe Average posted a video on your tube and it held up as a substitute for NIJ certification. Also, watch the weight listing carefully. I have seen ceramic NIJ armor plates that were as heavy as steel. I've also seen for slightly more money NIJ ceramics that were half the weight. As for AR500, I'll pass on steel plates. If I need armor I'll spend a little more and get lighter, more comfortable and certified armor. It reminds me of the Aimpoint/EOTech versus other red dot sight question. It's worth a little more money even if that means I don't get it right now. That way I know that when I do spend the money I won't regret not spending a little more. I'm in my early 50s and I've had to learn the hard way over the years that waiting a little longer to get what I really want is better than getting it now and then not getting what I really want. You do what you want. After all, I've already admitted that I had to learn the hard way!
    Better equipment doesn’t make you a better shot. Better practice makes you a better shot.

I’m not impressed by a lifetime warranty. I’m impressed by something built to last a lifetime!

American by birth, Veteran by choice!

Eric

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345