Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are USGI mags with black followers really that bad?

Feedback Score

Are USGI mags with black followers really that bad?

I was digging through some boxes the other day and ran across a few USGI 30-round mags with black followers. The mags appear new. I probably bought them in the 1990's and forgot all about them since I went through periods where I didn't even own an AR.

Are these considered so unreliable that I should maybe replace the followers with the mint green USGI followers (or MagPul followers)?

Or are they GTG as-is since I won't be using them in a full-auto gun or anything like that?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 08-29-14 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Depends on who made them, IIRC it was the Sanchez made mags that were unreliable without anti tilt followers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    They're fine if they're not Sanchez or Coopers. I ran those things forever back in the day.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Our SOP was to promptly put a boot through any black follower magazines and get a replacement from the armory.

Without uncle sugars funds such as LE or a productive citizen, I would mark them as training only to ensure they don't get tossed into a duty belt on accident.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Our SOP was to promptly put a boot through any black follower magazines and get a replacement from the armory.

Without uncle sugars funds such as LE or a productive citizen, I would mark them as training only to ensure they don't get tossed into a duty belt on accident.
    agreed. all un-productive citizens should be issued said crushed black follower mags in lieu of welfare.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I still run a few center and adventure line mags with black followers without issue. Some are pretty crusty too. Whats their downfall?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have a lot of mags with black followers. They work fine as long as I occasionally clean them.

Feedback Score
    Sanchez was the reason for the development of the green GI follower as they were very unreliable with the black follower. If your mags are marked Colt, Okay Ind., Adventureline, Center Ind. or LaBelle I would install Magpul followers and know that you have high quality mags that will serve you well. For the $2 or less there is no reason to do without the magpul upgrade.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Back in the day everyone avoided the sanchez & cooper mags like they were the plague. I remember going to gun shows and guys couldn't give them away.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would sale black follower mags to ban state residents. Take that cash and buy two or three mags of your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast