Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cerakote finish issues - acceptable or not?

Feedback Score

Cerakote finish issues - acceptable or not?

I bought this Cerakote finished lower directly from the manufacturer. The exterior finish is good and without flaws... the interior, not so much. They've already agreed to replace it but I don't want to deal with doing another FFL transfer if it's not necessary. So based on the following pictures would you guys say:

A) Yeah, that's a problem, or

B) You'll never know the difference once the LPK is installed.

I'm looking for guidance on the Cerakote finish from a technical standpoint; i.e. do I need to care given the condition you see.

Bare Al inside holes.jpgBolt release pocket bare Al.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I wouldn't worry about it and actually prefer their method due to tolerances and wear among the lower and parts. For example: Cerakote recommends a max .001" thick coating. The trigger/hammer pin holes are typically 0.156" and trigger/hammer pins 0.154". This leaves only .002" clearance without any finish. Add a .001" coat on the insides of these holes (.002" total for the inside radius) and you're likely going to be removing some Cerakote upon installation.
    Last edited by Warg; 08-29-14 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Don't get excited about it. You are probably better off like Warg said. It is impossible for the applicator to control the thickness of the coating in the holes. You would be bitching more if you had to ream the holes out to get the pins in!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    No problem. Run it hard!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The cerakote on my FDE 6920 didn't even look that nice when new. I'm digging every new character mark I put on it.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warg View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it and actually prefer their method due to tolerances and wear among the lower and parts. For example: Cerakote recommends a max .001" thick coating. The trigger/hammer pin holes are typically 0.156" and trigger/hammer pins 0.154". This leaves only .002" clearance without any finish. Add a .001" coat on the insides of these holes (.002" total for the inside radius) and you're likely going to be removing some Cerakote upon installation.
    This. When are you ever going to look in there once its assembled?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cop1211 View Post
    This. When are you ever going to look in there once its assembled?
    Exactly. That and you've a kick-ass finish on that lower, BTW. Is that Burnt Bronze?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I agree.. I'd rather not have the coating in those areas..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    I would send that back. I would never accept a metallic gold weapon.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback. This is pretty much what I was thinking but I wanted to field the opinion to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

It is Burnt Bronze and I'm surprised how much I like it. There is an upper to go with it but there was an issue with the upper so it's going back. They're having me send back the lower as well so that they can match up the new upper. The exterior of the lower is without issue so I didn't want to change that unless it was really worth it. Sounds like it's good the way it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast