Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.5in barrel/Carbine length FF HG/Suppressor Help

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There is little love for the 7.5" AR here. I just built a pistol with Sig brace for a truck gun. Hope to get out this week to see how it runs.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    How much too long is it? Would you need to shorten it beyond the full ring at the front, or could you leave a small amount of it?

What stock is that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    How much too long is it? Would you need to shorten it beyond the full ring at the front, or could you leave a small amount of it?

What stock is that?
    It would completely remove the radius on the first slot below the rail... So basically the entire slot would be open.

It's a NEA CCS

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I assume that you understand twist rate and how that works? Aside from the fact that you lose substantial muzzle velocity and energy, the round is not as stable as it would be from a longer barrel. The can is irrelevant in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog714 View Post
    And why would I get a baffle strike? Never had an issue with that barrel and the Saker is warranted on a 7.5in barrel.

It was a build specifically designed for stealth. I built it to accompany my everywhere. It fits in a backpack that I carved out foam to fit inside. I put a soft first aid pouch over the top of the foam, so unless you actually lifted the cover of the first aid pouch, you'd never see the gun...

It functions perfectly with and without the suppressor. It's got over 500 rounds through it and except for a few FTE the first mag, it's been flawless. I was cognisant of keyholing with such a short barrel and the ONLY time I saw anything other than a perfect .224 circle in paper was using 80gn handloads that had to be hand chambered because they wouldn't fit in a mag...

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    @Iraqgunz - Bro, quit being so hard on him. He built it for stealth...

Feedback Score
    I really don't want to use a YHM rail or other rail that would index OVER the suppressor in case it ever gets shot without the suppressor mounted (and its an aesthetic thing)
    I'm not seeing a pic in your initial post, so this comment may or may not help.

Depending on the rail, could you not use one of the YHM rail and have it just slightly past the shoulder? For example, I cut down a 16" 6.8 specifically so the ports in the muzzle device (a YHM QD FH) would be just outside the quadrail. This one is a YHM Lightweight rifle length. My YHM LT fits just inside it, and I have a Saker in jail with the Y-mount that should do the same thing.

So...the shoulder is under the rail, but I still feel safe shooting it unsuppressed. Aesthetics is definitely a personal thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    @Iraqgunz - Bro, quit being so hard on him. He built it for stealth...
    This is helpful how? I'm sorry my build isn't up to your standards, but this isn't ARFCOM so take your smug little jabs and GTFO of my tech question.

Iraqgunz, maybe I'm missing your point. If I'm not seeing any keyholing (or any other signs of instability) I'm unsure of your concerns. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Also, I get the "lethal" range has been reduced to ~50 yards or so, but it is perfect for my intended purpose.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have an EVO 7 on an 8.5" barrel.

It's slightly shorter than optimal on that barrel.

It measures 7", so it's a 1/4" shorter than most carbine rails.

Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    I just built an upper with a 7.5" barrel and a Samson Evo 7.6" rail. The rail is a hair over 7.5" so it appears the Samson stated lengths are accurate. They make a 7 and 7.6 inch rail, so the 7 may work for you.

The Evo is surprisingly solid for an inexpensive rail.
    Last edited by Clint; 09-03-14 at 07:42.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    This is helpful how? I'm sorry my build isn't up to your standards, but this isn't ARFCOM so take your smug little jabs and GTFO of my tech question.
    Ironically, you will actually find helpful responses to your question at arfcom. The hate for 7.5" barrels is strong at m4c.

Also, I get the "lethal" range has been reduced to ~50 yards or so
    Only if fragmentation is a requirement. Fortunately, hollowpoint ammo is available in 5.56.
    Last edited by evilblackrifle; 09-03-14 at 17:33.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12