Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deciding on a new CCW pistol...

Feedback Score

Deciding on a new CCW pistol...

I'm going shopping this weekend for a new concealed carry pistol. HK45 w/SF X300 just doesn't cut it sometimes. I like to carry appendix iwb with the HK because of its size and difficulty being concealed on the hip but when I sit or bend over it feels like I have a metal shard sticking into my leg/groin. I'm thinking of just turning the HK into a night table boom stick or buying a threaded barrel and AAC suppressor and keeping it a "gun safe toy".

Here's what I plan on shooting to find the right fit for me:

*Glock 19 (gen 3 or gen4 I'm not too picky). If I go with the 19 I will still probably put an X300 on it (I'm a big believer in a bright light on a pistol for a number of reasons) but it should be easier to conceal on my hip than my HK45 was. I'd also put some night sights on it and an extended mag release and maybe a trigger job... Maybe. I like Glocks and have shot many. The 19 seems like it would be the ideal choice except for one major thing: "glock bite". I use a high/aggressive grip on pistols and the slide on the 19 seems to love catching the skin between my thumb/forefinger with every round. Not fun. I plan on trying a beaver tail grip adaptor to see how that works for me.

*S&W M&P9 Shield. Single stack 9mm. I've really come to like the single stack 9mms. Easy to conceal and comfortable for all day wear. Never shot this one though so I'm interested in seeing how it compares. I also like the idea of a traditional manual safety. Many ccw pistol aficionados don't care for them because "they are just one more thing for you to forget in a gunfight" but I've shot thousands of rounds through my HK45 and I feel completely comfortable with one.

*Glock 26. The "baby glock". Not sure about this one but I've never shot it so I can't say for sure yet. It seems to me that since I like being able to use a full grip on a subcompact that I would want to use an extended magazine on these, making it almost the size of a Glock19.

*Springfield XDS 9 and 45: I've shot both of these and I'm a little indifferent about them. I preferred the 9mm to the .45 for the simple fact that the .45 was a little unpleasant to shoot and had significant muzzle flip. Not to mention the .45 didn't hold as many rounds. I'm also not a huge fan on the grip safety on the XDS.

*Sig Sauer P938. I really like this pistol. It reminds me of a "mini 1911" in that it feels very natural to point and line the sights. I haven't shot one enough to have a real opinion on it though. My gf has one and loves it. Noticed the grip screws came loose after a few hundred rounds but not a show stopper and nothing a little loctite didn't fix. Also has a manual safety which I like.

...so there it is. I'm going to run about 100 rounds through each before I make up my mind. I've been looking for a while now so I want to be sure. Any opinions on these or advice? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I think you should also consider a HK P2000 in LEM.

Of those on your list the G26 is least likely to malfunction or give you trouble. I have owned several and they are, strangely, one of the few Glocks that has consistent, appropriate ejection. Also, they don't print much. That would be my choice.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I think you should also consider a HK P2000 in LEM.

Of those on your list the G26 is least likely to malfunction or give you trouble. I have owned several and they are, strangely, one of the few Glocks that has consistent, appropriate ejection. Also, they don't print much. That would be my choice.
    x2 on the p2000. IMO it close to the perfect ccw option. I love my v1 and being hammer fired it's easier to get past the psychological barrier if running aiwb, atleast it was/is for me at least (silly I know). The LEM trigger is great.

The g19 would be my second choice, but I've always felt the grip force adapters were nothing but hokey. They work sure but still.

Regarding the shield mine rarely gets carried anymore. Nice gun all around but for me it's only real utility is in aiwb configuration but then its possible to run a slightly larger pistol with better ergonomics and draw characteristics (g19, p2k) so why limit yourself in that regard? OWB its to small for as much as it still takes to conceal it. So again a slightly larger pistol with slightly more capacity makes for a worthwhile trade off IMO.

If your married to the Glock platform go with the g19. If not I'd take a hard look at the p2000, and doubly so as you already have an HK 45. If nothing else the paddle release is superior. Shield would be last of those three if I were choosing. I can't speak to the other pistols mentioned.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 09-25-14 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    I like the Glock 42, not much love for the .380 out there, but it fits anywhere and shoots really well for the size, I carried the glock 19 forever but moved to the 42 for the fact that I carry everyday. The real argument is how often you shoot v. how often you carry, if you carry often then I'd recommend go lighter, but body size does also count into the equation. Hope you find your answer.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Don't know if you've seen, but the new Gen 4's have been shipping with factory beavertail backstraps.

I have a Gen 4 19 and a Gen 4 26, I carry the 26 more. For a strictly-CCW gun, I don't think the G26 can be beat. I'd suggest you skip the pinky extenders for a GAP floor plate. All the pinky really does is aid in your draw. The GAP doesn't affect concealability, but gives you a solid grip during your draw. As for recoil, the 26 feels almost identical to the 19, just louder and with a hair more snap.

If you really think you'll always carry with a pinky/magazine extension anyway, then just get the 19. There's a small weight difference, but it's nothing bad, I just find the G26 more comfortable for all-day carry.

As for ejection and malfunctions and whatnot... 4k through my G26 and 1.5k through my G19, no malfunctions between the two, and consistent ejection.

Feedback Score
    Also I think Springfield is giving away 3 mags with a purchase of a Springfield until oct 31st, check with them for the offer because I don't have all the details on hand, just mentioning is all
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Other node to the P2000, or even the SK if you can find one with an LEM. The DA/SA V1 of the SK is brutal on the DA pull. Since you are used to the paddle release, grip and operation of an HK, see if you can try to stay with that platform. There is not much difference between most HK pistols in operation and field stripping, cleaning, etc. Except the VP9.

Also, have you considered the HK45c?

ETA: I normally carry a FS USP9 or 45, IWB. Lately it has been the P30, but it is OWB.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    I really love my 938.it shoots like a full size pistol and just vanishes when concealed

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisreedrules View Post
    I've really come to like the single stack 9mms. Easy to conceal and comfortable for all day wear. Never shot this one though so I'm interested in seeing how it compares.
    Walther PPS. Fantastic for CCW for the reasons you mentioned.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I echo the P2000/P2000SK and PPS suggestions.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast