Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving rounds chambered safer in some long guns than others?

Feedback Score

Leaving rounds chambered safer in some long guns than others?

Many of us feel it's okay and tactically sound to leave an AR for HD with a round chambered.

But what about other long guns? Lets consider the following semi-auto weapons:

-AK's

-M1A's

-HK's

-Uzi's

-FAL's

-Shotguns (semi auto and pump)

Are any of these "safer" to leave in condition one than the others? Whats safe anyway? Won't fire on it's own? "Probably" won't fire if dropped a certain way?

Feedback Score
    Safety on... its safe.

That said, its just me and the girl. No gremlins running around... few years anyway!

What's safe?

I wouldn't leave a light trigger gun with no safety on just out... I've been known to leave my stock M&P out with no holster though(no safety). Its up to you to decide what you think is safe.

No well made gun is going to fire, even if dropped, with the safety on.

Feedback Score
    This gentlemen pretty much nailed it. It is really ultimately up to you to determine what "safe" really is. A mechanical safety on a firearm is just that. Me personally do not leave my "HD" carbine with a loaded chamber. Think about it...if I go for my carbine for whatever scenario at hand, I will most likely do a press check so I might as well rack a round in and go to work. How much quicker is it realistically than just grabbing said carbine already chambered and doing the same? Plus, I have a 10 and a 1.5 year old boys. YMMV though.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Safety on... its safe.

That said, its just me and the girl. No gremlins running around... few years anyway!

What's safe?

I wouldn't leave a light trigger gun with no safety on just out... I've been known to leave my stock M&P out with no holster though(no safety). Its up to you to decide what you think is safe.

No well made gun is going to fire, even if dropped, with the safety on.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MontePR View Post
    This gentlemen pretty much nailed it. It is really ultimately up to you to determine what "safe" really is. I have a 10 and a 1.5 year old boys.
    This about sums it up. You determine what is "Safe" in your own home. Both my Shotgun, my HD carbine, and my EDC is loaded and ready to go.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A note on the AK- There was a period of time when my 'kept in an at-the-ready condition' gun was an Arsenal 5.45 gun.

I personally have no problem with safety on and round chambered in an AK, but KNOW YOUR GUN. There is variation among receivers, aftermarket fire control groups, and methods of axis pin retention. Improperly spec'd components, poor quality parts, and/or improper installation of whatever's retaining the axis pins (the 'shepherd's hook', on Romanian guns) can lead to strange situations. It's within the realm of possibility for conditions to exist where the gun discharges when the safety is disengaged, or when a trigger or hammer pin either walks out or breaks.

I believe it was Grant that first hand observed a safetied AK discharge when one of the pins walked out (or broke?), in an AK-centric class. He posted about the incident here. This was many years ago, so my recollection is foggy, but the basic lesson with AKs was- in a world where we have to contend with OEM and US-made receivers, many types of non-OEM FCGs, many kinds of OEM and aftermarket safety selectors, and methods of axis pin retention that weren't originally designed for the gun (as we're stuck with semi-only FCGs), you really, really have to be familiar with your gun.

In my case, my AK was the only long gun I shot regularly and trained with, and had several cases of 7n6 through it. Personally, I would not be so confident with AKs that I didn't have that much familiarity with.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Because most rifles and shotguns lack a drop safety, I store them with a loaded magazine with the hammer down on a empty chamber.

Still very fast to get into action, if required, and in a fire the ammo in the mag will cook off but there won't be any projectiles leaving at high speed.

H

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halmbarte View Post
    Because most rifles and shotguns lack a drop safety, I store them with a loaded magazine with the hammer down on a empty chamber.

Still very fast to get into action, if required, and in a fire the ammo in the mag will cook off but there won't be any projectiles leaving at high speed.

H
    I did consider the fire hazard. It's far-fetched, but so is any house fire. Handguns can cook off a chambered round too of course.

Another concern is who else in the house might ever handle, drop, knock over, or knock something into, a long gun with a chambered round?

I've always leaned toward keeping HD long guns unchambered and occasionally revisit the issue. I appreciate the input.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halmbarte View Post

H
    Same here.

I also carry it over to hunting. If I am moving, I don't have a round chambered in a long gun, period.

Same goes for folks I take hunting. When we get ready to move to a new stand, the round WILL be removed from the chamber or you can get back in your truck and go home. I am not having you shoot me because you are clumsy.

A guy that went to school with me was killed while crossing a fence when I was in high school because the gun he had leaned against a tree while he crossed the fence fell over and discharged striking him in the femoral artery and he bled out before help could arrive.

I had a cousin that did the same.

My home defense AR is under the bed with a magazine but the chamber empty. It is much more likely that someone might pick it up and drop it than for it to be needed before I can get a round chambered.

IMHO that is an acceptable risk in a war zone but not in my house.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 750.356 View Post
    A note on the AK- There was a period of time when my 'kept in an at-the-ready condition' gun was an Arsenal 5.45 gun.

I personally have no problem with safety on and round chambered in an AK, but KNOW YOUR GUN. There is variation among receivers, aftermarket fire control groups, and methods of axis pin retention. Improperly spec'd components, poor quality parts, and/or improper installation of whatever's retaining the axis pins (the 'shepherd's hook', on Romanian guns) can lead to strange situations. It's within the realm of possibility for conditions to exist where the gun discharges when the safety is disengaged, or when a trigger or hammer pin either walks out or breaks.

I believe it was Grant that first hand observed a safetied AK discharge when one of the pins walked out (or broke?), in an AK-centric class. He posted about the incident here. This was many years ago, so my recollection is foggy, but the basic lesson with AKs was- in a world where we have to contend with OEM and US-made receivers, many types of non-OEM FCGs, many kinds of OEM and aftermarket safety selectors, and methods of axis pin retention that weren't originally designed for the gun (as we're stuck with semi-only FCGs), you really, really have to be familiar with your gun.

In my case, my AK was the only long gun I shot regularly and trained with, and had several cases of 7n6 through it. Personally, I would not be so confident with AKs that I didn't have that much familiarity with.
    Not sure if it was the same class but Larry Vickers talked about one of his AK classes where a student on the firing line had a ND due to a G2 FCG installed in a Romanian AK. I have personally had my SAR-1 double fire on me at the range with a G2 installed.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    All long guns are "cruiser safe" at all times.

All pistols are loaded at all times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast