Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: When To Choose A .308 Over 5.56?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd love to get my hands on some of the projectiles out of M855a1. There've been posts here from guys who've seen its effects on torsos and heads and stuff. Supposed to be pretty good at tissue damage.
    Better than Brown Tip? Or the same? The guys I've trained under talked about how incredibly impressed they were with the Brown Tip overseas. Between their discussions and the results I had shooting through auto glass a couple months ago, I'm planning to keep the 70gr TSX as my go-to 5.56. I'll still have some 77gr SMK for long range fun - though the nearest range where I can shoot beyond 100 yards is a couple hours away.

As for 7.62, in keeping with my earlier comments in this thread, I'm stocking up on 168gr TSX as my standard ammunition. It did well shooting through the vehicles in class, and based on how all the other Barnes X bullets do I'm confident it will meet my needs. I still have some 175gr - but again, shooting longer distances is the exception for me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Better than Brown Tip? Or the same? The guys I've trained under talked about how incredibly impressed they were with the Brown Tip overseas.
    The comments I read didn't mention any comparison to brown tip ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When any of the rounds perform as they should I doubt you are going to notice a difference. Even the lowly M855 really messes people up when it frags. Ive seen it remove large parts of insurgents heads.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The comments I read didn't mention any comparison to brown tip ammo.
    I've seen positive mentions of performance for M855A1, and I've seen comparison (which are usually outright damning towards the M855A1 project as a whole), but I've never encountered both positive comments on the 855A1 projectile and a comparison of that projectile against anything else. Even the green tip to A1 doesn't show a favorable comparison that can't be largely explained by the increased case pressure from running the bullet harder.

What I literally spent three hours of last night pondering in lieu of sleeping would still constitute considerable thread drift, so I'll tack up a new thread just for that - you'll probably know which one that is when you see it.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Better than Brown Tip? Or the same? The guys I've trained under talked about how incredibly impressed they were with the Brown Tip overseas. Between their discussions and the results I had shooting through auto glass a couple months ago, I'm planning to keep the 70gr TSX as my go-to 5.56. I'll still have some 77gr SMK for long range fun - though the nearest range where I can shoot beyond 100 yards is a couple hours away.

As for 7.62, in keeping with my earlier comments in this thread, I'm stocking up on 168gr TSX as my standard ammunition. It did well shooting through the vehicles in class, and based on how all the other Barnes X bullets do I'm confident it will meet my needs. I still have some 175gr - but again, shooting longer distances is the exception for me.
    Where are you finding 70gr TSX in 5.56? As far as I know SSA were the only ones making factory 5.56 70gr TSX commercially available and they unfortunately discontinued it. I havn't been able to find it anywhere. Ted Nugent Ammo has a .223 70gr TSX load. I have basically settled on Black Hill's special 50gr TSX 5.56 for defense since I don't necessarily need the lower velocity threshold of the 70gr either for long range engagement or because of a short barrel.

What barrier blind 7.62/.308 rounds are you guys using? How does A-max stack up?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Where are you finding 70gr TSX in 5.56? As far as I know SSA were the only ones making factory 5.56 70gr TSX commercially available and they unfortunately discontinued it. I havn't been able to find it anywhere. Ted Nugent Ammo has a .223 70gr TSX load. I have basically settled on Black Hill's special 50gr TSX 5.56 for defense since I don't necessarily need the lower velocity threshold of the 70gr either for long range engagement or because of a short barrel.

What barrier blind 7.62/.308 rounds are you guys using? How does A-max stack up?
    There are still a couple options. Asym offers it and so does Southwest Ammuniton.
    http://www.southwestammunition.com/m....aspx?id=37589

As for other barrier blind loads, the 62 gr TBBC is good inside 100yards. The exposed lead tip seems to be causing accuracy to significantly drop off beyond that.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    There are still a couple options. Asym offers it and so does Southwest Ammuniton.
    The distinction is .223 pressure vs. 5.56x45 NATO pressure. Asym manufactures a load at .223 Remington pressure and jerrysimons was specifically asking about one loaded to 5.56 pressure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    The distinction is .223 pressure vs. 5.56x45 NATO pressure. Asym manufactures a load at .223 Remington pressure and jerrysimons was specifically asking about one loaded to 5.56 pressure.
    I didn't make that distinction, but if that's the case then he will simply need to click on the link I provided.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My take on this is the following-
    CQB in a urban environment with engagement under 200 meters. No vehicle threats, wood structures and over penetration a concern then its 5.56. Supply is by foot or patrol without vehicle support.
    Open Rural areas, with large wild life (bears/ big cats) or vehicle threats. Operating with vehicles, mounted movement and supply is vehicle born then its .308.
    The 6.8 Spc is a general purpose round which falls in between that could do it all, but costs the same as .308 which is why I have focused more with my .308 SCAR then my PRI lately.
    I have 5.56/6.8/.308 semi-autos available that I own. In 2004 when I handled the XM8 and there was talk about it being chambered in 6.8 SPC i thought wow the Army is finally getting it. Nope, spent the money on the 855A1 and new barrels instead (twice the cost from my understanding) and ten years later still arguing on a M4 replacement. With that all said, if forced in a corner and had to go with only one it (XM8 in 6.8 not available) it would be a .308 SCAR.
    My 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I am a big fan of 308, but appreciate the handiness of a well executed 5.56.

5.56- 11.5-12.5; 200 & in, optimized for close work.
    300- 9.5; suppressed badassery
    308- 14.5-16, General Purpose
    @Failure2Stop
    Ten years later, is this still where you land?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678