Thread: Henry's H010 45-70 Govn't

Feedback Score

Henry's H010 45-70 Govn't

Does anyone know what's the safe but unofficial pressure limit this rifle can take?
    Some metallurgy guru said a Marlin 1895G can take up to 40,000 PSI.
    The official word from the manufacturer is SAAMI standard, which is no more than 28,000 PSI.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have been around CAS (cowboy action shooting) for several years. Some of the long range shooters will use Marlins in some of the classes but I have never seen a Henry 45-70 used. Maybe this means something? I have used and owned Marlins for a lot of years and NEVER had a problem with full house loads iin any of the calibers I shoot. as far as I know, neither have any of my friends who shoot Marlins for target or hunting. I'd trust a Marlin, especially an older Marlin... before the Remington (?) buy out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Its funny this thread came today, awhile ago I JUST saw & handled a Henry 45/70. GORGOUS rifle. My personal GUESS as to why more CAS use Marlins is because they are faster to reload, with side loading gate vs. the tube loading on the Henry. Always wondered why Henry don't just go with the side loading gate themselves. But as to arthury's original question, Im sorry I don't know.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No doubt the Henry rifles are very pretty. However, they are not quite historically accurate as the original 1860 Henry was configured quite a bit differently than the modern Henry Big Boy offering. If you want something much more true to the original 1860 Henry you have a couple options other than the modern Big Boy Henry. The Uberti 1860 Henry is a great rifle but of course not offered in 45- 70 caliber. Also almost true to form there is a newer reproduction of Henry made here in the US, not Italy the Ubertis. But again you won't find this 1860 repro Henry in 45 70.
    Last edited by danasaki; 11-20-14 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hmm. I just went to Henry's website and checked out the new HO10 45-70. Looks like quite the rifle and it might be a contender for the Marlin. This is certainly a new rifle to me and although nowhere close to being historically accurate it looks like it would make a fine modern hunting rifle. I do like the sights on it. Time will tell but it looks great. Now... to get one in my hands...

Feedback Score
    The majority of classes in CAS/SASS don't even shoot a .45-70. Most of the guys in the regular classes shoot .38SPL's out of a Winchester 1873. In fact, so many 1873 copies got sold through Uberti, Cimarron, and Taylor's & Co., that Winchester is making them again. The 1873's toggle-lock action is faster to actuate than other designs, and I think the standard rifle holds 13 rounds or so. That's why you don't see the smaller 1892's out there quite as much. Their levers are a little longer to throw, and their magazines don't hold as many rounds. In most of the courses, too, you don't reload. You just grab another gun, or you're done with the stage. Shots you don't make are shots you don't get points for, so a magazine that holds more is an advantage. As for my personal opinion? Henry builds a cheap rifle that's clunky as hell, and the lack of a side-loading gate is baffling. If a company is omitting an entire feature just to save a few bucks, they won't get my dollars. A final thought: OP, if you want a .45-70 to really hot rod, get a Ruger No. 1. They're the toughest .45-70 ever made. Barring that, get a JM-stamped .45-70 Marlin.
    Last edited by Yale; 11-25-14 at 18:49. Reason: Wheeeeeeee! Cowboy guns!!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, .45-70 is a caliber that is relegated to long distance shooting in side matches with the bulk of most popular main match calibers being 38 special followed by 45 Colt, then a smattering of .32, 44-40, 44 special, and the occasional 45 Schofield. But the Henry new model Big Boy is a rifle I generally see (and infrequently at that) only being used by new shooters who have not had the guidance or opportunity to have tried a repro '60, '66, '73 or even '92 lever gun. The Henry looks purdy, but is certainly not a good choice for CAS, partially for the reasons you mention and partially from QC issues when compared to Marlin (pre Remmy Marlins...) And from what I have read on the SASS type message boards and heard from people who have used the Henry Big Boy style rifle for CAS, the results are not favorable. This being said, the rifle in question by the OP is a new offering I was not aware of originally but does look like a possible contender to the big bore Marlins for hunting and possibly longer range matches although it won't hang with the Sharps style true long distance guns. However, Marlin, especially the JM Marlins as you mention have been proven to be a darn good gun in every way possible, IMHO; QC, durability, accuracy, etc. I started cowboy shooting with a Marlin in 45 Colt before I got a Uberti '73 and that rifle served me quite well for three years and is still running strong. Henry's (the new models, not the 1860 repros) I have seen in person usually got sold soon after a new shooter's couple of first matches.

Feedback Score
    The Henry 45-70 came out fairly recently and I really wanted to get one until I realized it was tube load only which seems kind of dumb for big 45-70 rounds.

Feedback Score
    The tube loading of the Henry initially turned me off but I saw one review online that stated that one could load rounds through the ejection portwith the lever open. Havent had a chance to look at one since but it does put it back in the running in my book.

Feedback Score
    Did I wander over to TheHighRoad.org?

I'm surprised to find this thread here, but I love lever guns. A local Sheriff's Office teaches a Lever Gun Patrol Rifle course (They also issue Glock 18s, Select fire Shorty M4s and Suppressors.)