Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WA State voters: critical upcoming votes on I-594 and I-591 in November

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

WA State voters: critical upcoming votes on I-594 and I-591 in November

I assume most Washington state shooters are aware, but if not, we have two critical state ballot initiatives to vote on in November. Please inform yourself and vote on these initiatives, we absolutely need to be involved in preserving our 2A rights in Washington state, where they are constantly under attack.

I-594 (http://wagunresponsibility.org/about-594/)
    This is a gun control measure, backed by large out-of-state donations from Michael Bloomberg, in-state donations the Microsoft triumvirate of local boys (Gates, Balmer, Allen), and other gun control groups. It is ostensibly a "reasonable" measure that is supposed to be about background checks for all gun purchases including private transfers. However if you read the actual initiative text carefully (rather than just skimming the "legislative analysis" linked on the above landing page), you'll see that this is in effect a backdoor registration scheme that will (a) not stop criminals from obtaining firearms, and will (b) massively increase the number of lawful gun owners who accidentally run afoul of the law by mistakenly "temporarily transferring" a firearm to a friend to shoot while n the woods, hunting, etc. This law will absolutely not reduce firearm access by committed/career criminals, but it will enhance further government monitoring of firearm ownership and will increase the number of lawful gun owners who will run afoul of the law through no fault of their own. It is simply a wedge strategy: an early stage of legislation whose goal is to move a step closer to registration and confiscation schemes.

Recommendation: vote no on I-594. It may sound harmless on the surface, and that is how it is being sold and presented to low information voters. It is actually extremely subversive of our 2nd Amendment rights in WA State and if passed, this approach will be used by gun control advocates to extend their strategy in other states.

I-591 (http://wagunrights.org/)
    This is a defensive measure by pro gun-rights groups in WA state that essentially wants to (a) limit background checks to nothing beyond the current federally imposed system, (b) prevent WA state from intruding into temporary firearm loans to friends or in-laws while you are shooting, and (c) prevent WA state from engaging in heavy handed monitoring and confiscation tactics to enforce this or future laws.

Recommendation: vote yes on I-591. Nothing in this measure prevents basic background checks from occurring now or in the future, but it does protect our fundamental 2A rights and protects against the many excesses of the new I-594 law, if passed.

Interesting possible outcome: It has been speculated that WA voters (not the sharpest knives in the drawer :-) ), may well pass BOTH I-594 and I-591. That would put the two new laws in direct conflict, which would then probably have to be resolved in the courts. The best possible outcome is that I-594 fails and I-591 passes. What I expect to happen is that both will pass, and there will be some interesting court battles ahead.

Feedback Score
    Constantly under attack seems a little strong. I have a bunch of cans and I have.SBRs pending. Other than that, I agree with your predictions.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think I won't back down from constantly under attack. They can grant you rights to 'own' all kinds of stuff, like suppressors and SBRs. While at the same time increasingly restricting where you can carry, how you can acquire stuff, what ammo you can get, how many taxes you pay, what permits you need, what data they track, what kinds of situations you can purchase in, etc. The left have figured it out: we don't have to deny your right to BUY guns. We'll just make it impossibly complicated, and expensive, to own, carry, shoot, and feed them with ammo. And we'll make it really really easy to run afoul of the law, so that we can confiscate your stuff whenever we need to.

We are in trouble--looks like a good chance the worst possible outcome will be realized. It's expected from polling analysis that 594 will pass, and 591 will fail. This may turn around, but on historical precedent, this doesn't look good.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...leeds-support/
    Last edited by maximus83; 10-21-14 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have been doing what I can to spread the word but many many of the people I am surrounded buy read the initiative on the ballot and believe its a good thing to vote for without actually reading it or asking what it means. It's frightening and sad.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Latest polls I've seen show 594 with 60%+ favored and 591 with less than 40% favored.

Feedback Score
    If people don't at a minimum at least have a yes/no sign in their yard, then they don't really appear to care what happens

Feedback Score
    Election results...

I-591 = failed
    Yes 545,985 (45.44%)
    No 655,531 (54.56%)
    Total Votes 1,201,516 (100%)

I-594 = passed
    Yes 724,057 (59.72%)
    No 488,288 (40.28%)
    Total Votes 1,212,345 (100%)

Congrats Washington, you now have worst firearm transfer laws than California.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Argh. But not unexpected. People vote on the soundbite, and 594 had the soundbite and the airplay. :-(

-john

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I see that the bad one, 594, passed. Is it as bad as the NRA-ILA warns in the piece below? If it really works that way, it sounds absolutely terrible.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ar...een-state.aspx

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Damn, that's terrible. 594 was one of the worst firearms laws I've ever seen and that's saying something...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast