Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade M&P9 or New HK VP9

Feedback Score

Upgrade M&P9 or New HK VP9

So here's what I'm looking at. I recently acquired an older (2006), but barely fired (less than 100 rounds) M&P9 and cash in a trade. My thought was to do some parts upgrades, stippling, new holster, etc. to the M&P with the cash, and it would be my new CCW. However, I have been really looking at the HK VP9. I've done plenty of reading on the VP9, but just haven't been able to get my hands one yet until now. My friendly neighborhood gun store has a couple in stock ready for the taking.

So if you were in my shoes would you put the cash toward the upgrades to the M&P or get a new VP9? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by kt1589; 08-22-14 at 10:11.
    “We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

George Orwell

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have an older M&P 9 with DCAEK and a Storm Lake barrel. Both my VP9 and my PPQ are vastly superior handguns IMHO virtually every respect. Between the VP9 and the PPQ, I'd give the edge, marginally, to the VP9 but the difference between them is definitely going to be based on personal preference rather than any objective measure of superiority.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kt1589 View Post
    So here's what I'm looking at. I recently acquired an older (2006), but barely fired (less than 100 rounds) M&P9 and cash in a trade. My thought was to do some parts upgrades, stippling, new holster, etc. to the M&P with the cash, and it would be my new CCW. However, I have been really looking at the HK VP9. I've done plenty of reading on the VP9, but just haven't been able to get my hands one yet until now. My friendly neighborhood gun store has a couple in stock ready for the taking.

So if you were in my shoes would you put the cash toward the upgrades to the M&P or get a new VP9? Thanks for your thoughts.
    You should be able to install an Apex trigger and buy some ammo and be good to go with a fantastic 9mm. Stippling is completely proprietary, and really should not be factored into the cost IMO. The M&P will serve you exceptionally well, like I said, the only gripe I have is the trigger on the older models like the one you have. Magazines, holsters, and other accessories are also less money and more readily available right now as well.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    An H&K VP9 out of the box is going to be good to go.

M&P is going to need at least (for a 2006 gun) trigger work, slide stop, firing pin block, spring and plunger and may need to re-barrel to be anywhere close to as accurate as a VP9 - and the only barrel that can really improve the M&P 9mm accuracy issue is the SL one from G&R. It also might need an Apex failure resistant extractor in that S/N range.

Either of them will probably need new sights, although the night sights on the VP9 LE model aren't bad.

My estimation is, unless you paid very little for the M&P to begin with, to equal the VP9 you're gonig to have more money into your M&P than a new VP9 by the time you're done. About the only benefit to going the upgrade route that I can see is the M&P shoots softer and flatter and I've never had a failure to lock back on empty due to my grip like I do with the VP9 (although my M&P auto-forwards constantly). I seriously doubt you'll see much difference on the timer between either gun though.

The biggest piece of this cost though is a new fitted barrel, so if you're M&P is accurate enough for you, then you might come out money ahead to upgrade it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Id say upgrade the S&W and have a kick ass carry gun.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd at least handle, and if possible shoot the VP9 before deciding - if it points and handles well for you, and you enjoy the magazine release then I'd go with that. For my part, with the FSS kit (or DCAEK and some polishing) the M&P is more than adequate for trigger quality for the money, and the slightly higher onboard magazine (17 > 15) capacity offsets some of that capability. The HK or S&W sights from 10-8 would be on my to-do list for either (note to self, need to order that set for my second M&P9). Right now the aftermarket is where the M&P has the lead (mag extensions, sights, SL barrels, laser grips) while the VP9 is new, and will suffer from scarcity of some stuff (like spare magazines).

I'm really a huge fan of my M&Ps, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice not looking closely at the VP9 and seeing if those smaller things lean you one direction or another. For me the mag catch on the HK45 was a deal-breaker, otherwise I'd be sitting on a pair of HK45c's, same applies for the VP9; once I started leaning towards the M&P9's with thumb safety, the FSS kit from Apex just outright sealed the deal - I'm sure there's a post floating around explaining my journey there.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    I spent a year and a half trying to get my m&p exactly how I wanted it for ccw. The lack of accuracy past 20 yards really bothered me. I stippled, added new sights, apex kit, new barrel and still never got the gun how I wanted. The vp9 on the other hand has been amazing. The accuracy is fantastic and all it really needs in my opinion is new sights (for now mine are blacked out with a sharpie). The choice is up to you but after struggling with this same problem, I chose the vp9.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If you like how the Vp9 feels I think you will be better off. I got tired of nursing my M&Ps and put them on consignment after I got my Vp9.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    If you like how the Vp9 feels I think you will be better off. I got tired of nursing my M&Ps and put them on consignment after I got my Vp9.
    I know I don't miss the M&P's I had.....The VP9 is a excellent out of the box handgun, that really only needs better sights....
    Last edited by ralph; 08-22-14 at 18:06.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Are current production M&P 9MM pistols still prone to jamming now and then when inserting mags hard enough to cause the slide to auto forward ? I don't mind the auto forwarding part that much, but
    the jamming / failure to feed I would mind very much. Maybe this issue has long since been fixed and currently manufactured M&P 9mm pistols have no issue with this. I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-w2i7OWkyY
    Last edited by Biggy; 08-22-14 at 19:05.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast