Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A discussion of build quality…………

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    One of the Subject Matter Experts here (SMEs) posted that 99% of shooters won't appreciate that. Probably the Camp Perry competitors, and maybe a few boring accuracy nerds like Pappabear and I might realize a gain from it.

I plan to buy the tool at brownells at some point to use in the future.
    Ya, most folks shoot minute of water buffalo or never venture past 100yds so they probably won't notice. If you can shoot though, you WILL notice such things.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke2424 View Post
    ...........Your correct that every part will be Colt, BCM, Noveske, DD, etc. So my question is, will a novice end user be able to notice those differences such as receiver trueness, etc.? Playing the law of averages, will those thing mainly effect accuracy?

Unless you are shooting 600 yards at a High Power match or bench rest shooting with hand loads, you won't notice any difference in a home workshop build.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Unless you are shooting 600 yards at a High Power match or bench rest shooting with hand loads, you won't notice any difference in a home workshop build.
    I don't know about that. I have taken some of the best barrels out there, shot them for group at 100yds, then re-crowned them and shot them again. I have seen a quarter inch group improvement.

So paying attention to details like this CAN show themselves in the 100yd-200yd range IMHO (assuming you are a good shooter using good ammo).

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I don't know about that. I have taken some of the best barrels out there, shot them for group at 100yds, then re-crowned them and shot them again. I have seen a quarter inch group improvement.

So paying attention to details like this CAN show themselves in the 100yd-200yd range IMHO (assuming you are a good shooter using good ammo).

C4

I agree that an experienced shooter will notice the difference. Most people won't.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I agree that an experienced shooter will notice the difference. Most people won't.
    Agree. Crowns are pretty important to a rifle and most AR companies do NOT crown their barrel in house. So they are done via mass production and are not centered to the bore line.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ya, most folks shoot minute of water buffalo

Yeah... the receiver truing thread was an eye opener. Even the best AR manuf's have potential for improvement there. I have one upper that I'd really like to tear down and do this too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Can we make a sticky thread with all of the proper torque values and securing procedures (e.g. castle nut staking, not loctite).
    What thread are you talking about Markm? And what tool?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Can we make a sticky thread with all of the proper torque values and securing procedures (e.g. castle nut staking, not loctite).
    What thread are you talking about Markm? And what tool?

Thanks
    Those are found most everywhere on the net. With that said, you have to realize that SOME of the torque specs are WAY over what they needed to be due to having to align something (like the USGI barrel nut or A2 FH). I much prefer to use shims so that I can go with the bare minimum torque values.

C4

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Those are found most everywhere on the net. With that said, you have to realize that SOME of the torque specs are WAY over what they needed to be due to having to align something (like the USGI barrel nut or A2 FH). I much prefer to use shims so that I can go with the bare minimum torque values.

C4
    True. I was thinking a thread with revised torque values and best procedures might be beneficial. If I remember from what you said in random other threads you don't put more than 40ft/lbs on a muzzle device and try to stay close to 40ft/lbs on the barrel nut. Thankfully you have not kept secret some of GandRs "secret sauce."

Of coarse the hobbyist will run into a wall not having a stock of barrels, uppers, and bolts on hand to match fitment on each. Thats assuming they even have proper headspace gauges. Is there a tool to test for receiver trueness?

I am still seeing a need for GandR offering armor's work.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    True. I was thinking a thread with revised torque values and best procedures might be beneficial. If I remember from what you said in random other threads you don't put more than 40ft/lbs on a muzzle device and try to stay close to 40ft/lbs on the barrel nut. Thankfully you have not kept secret some of GandRs "secret sauce."

Of coarse the hobbyist will run into a wall not having a stock of barrels, uppers, and bolts on hand to match fitment on each. Thats assuming they even have proper headspace gauges. Is there a tool to test for receiver trueness?

I am still seeing a need for GandR offering armor's work.
    Sure, but you need to buy the shims in order to do that (and have a torque wrench). Most aren't going to do any of that.

We use a Starret Tru-Stone to check out receivers. http://www.starrett.com/metrology/me...cision-granite

C4

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast