Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melonite

Feedback Score

Melonite

There are a few manufacturers that I consider "top tier". They are probably the same ones the people on this site would put into that category.

My question is are their any top tier companies that make barrels with Melonite? As far as I know S&W does not sell barrels. I think I want to try one out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Scionics.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Daniel Defense's S2W profile barrels are Salt Bath Nitride, which is the same thing as melonite. That profile can only be found in certain configurations though.

Sionics might be your best bet.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Don't forget about AR15 Performance barrels.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com has 16" medium contour and LW barrels as well as an 11.5" barrel. We have had very good accuracy with these barrels.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com has 16" medium contour and LW barrels as well as an 11.5" barrel. We have had very good accuracy with these barrels.
    What's your experience with longevity? I'm very interested in the 16 inch lightweight melonite Sionics barrel. How does it stand up to high round counts compared to the current crop of, say, double-thickness chrome lined hammer-forged barrels?
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-04-14 at 05:49.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. That would be interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a melonite barrel in person.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackmagic View Post
    There are a few manufacturers that I consider "top tier". They are probably the same ones the people on this site would put into that category.

My question is are their any top tier companies that make barrels with Melonite? As far as I know S&W does not sell barrels. I think I want to try one out.
    Primary Weapons Systems. PWS is known for their piston ARs. But they do sell some DI parts including melonite barrels (which I believe they call Isonite).

The only 2 companies I completely trust for melonite AR barrels are PWS and AR Performance. That being said, I am planning to try a Sionics melonite barrel soon. My guess is that they are good too.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. That would be interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a melonite barrel in person.
    I know quite a few people with Huldras, which has a melonite barrel. I know that they're quite accurate, in fact Huldra guarantees 1 MOA, but my only knowledge of their longevity comes from an earlier test gun, the one that they shot for 5000+ rounds of 5.45 without cleaning. AFAIK, the barrel held up well but I haven't heard anything recent.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    What's your experience with longevity? I'm very interested in the 16 inch lightweight melonite Sionics barrel. How does it stand up to high round counts compared to the current crop of, say, double-thickness chrome lined hammer-forged barrels?
    I'd like to know this as well. I have a melonited barrel by another mfg, but it was never intended for hard use. I would like to know how it would hold up though.

However, I have been looking hard at Sionics for a rebarrel on a hard use rifle.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 09-04-14 at 09:41.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast