Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Elite Tactical Systems AR-15 Polymer Magazines?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I ordered direct from ETS website. The one thing I've noticed so far is they're a little tough to seat... even on an open bolt. A closed bolt and loaded mag are really stiff.

Not a deal breaker for me. And I want to run them and get a more thorough familiarity with them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought two of the coupler version to try out and one of the regular mags, direct from ETS. I unfortunately had to go out of town before having a chance to shoot them, but at first glance, the coupler system seems very well executed and is easy to connect and disconnect. However, I think I'll end up preferring the standard, non-coupler version. The coupled pair of mags functioned fine when I test fit them in my BCM, although it (obviously) precludes you from slapping the bolt release when the second mag on the left side. You have to more deliberately press the release which is right next to the spine of the outer magazine. I just feel like coupled magazines add too much bulk to the weapon, expose the second magazine to dirt and possible damage, and aren't that practical for me personally. I also prefer the flat sides of the single, non-coupler mag, and I think if I use the coupled pair, I might shave off the coupler lugs(?) on the outsides of the two magazines, making dedicated left and right mags. I definitely don't see myself coupling 3 mags together, and I don't really care for the feel of the couplers on the outside of the mags when gripping them. Again though, I think these magazines are well-designed and seem very rugged, and I definitely like them as an alternative to Lancer's translucent mag. I'll probably order more of the plain mags after testing these. And if you want coupled mags, I think these are a great way to go.

Dave
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 10-08-14 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I got to messing with my two last night and ended up shaving a little material of one of the spring guides on the bottom retainer doohicky that sits on the base plate. The spring wasn't sliding over it evenly on the back of that part... it likely would have broken in on its own with normal use, but it seemed to help the loaded mag seat easier on a closed bolt.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I got to messing with my two last night and ended up shaving a little material of one of the spring guides on the bottom retainer doohicky that sits on the base plate. The spring wasn't sliding over it evenly on the back of that part... it likely would have broken in on its own with normal use, but it seemed to help the loaded mag seat easier on a closed bolt.
    Sorry about that, most likely the spring needed to be "turned" 180 degrees with regards to how it's mounted in the housing. Since this batch is our fist batch, some of the mags were assembled with the spring backwards. Now, in our testing it has not made a difference in performance, but sometimes it made it a little bit harder to load the last coupled of rounds until the spring jumped over the guide.

Also, it is true that our mag takes a little more force on some ARs to seat because we have positioned our feed lips a little higher overall. That allowed us to run a little bit thicker feedlips. That being said, you should still have no trouble seating the mag with the push/pull method on an open or closed bolt.

Thanks again for trying us out. I hope we exceed your expectations.
    Product Development - Elite Tactical Systems Group

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    These mags have already exceeded my expectations by a long shot. The spring thing was no biggie. Can't wait to shoot them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I bought two of the coupler version to try out and one of the regular mags, direct from ETS. I unfortunately had to go out of town before having a chance to shoot them, but at first glance, the coupler system seems very well executed and is easy to connect and disconnect. However, I think I'll end up preferring the standard, non-coupler version. The coupled pair of mags functioned fine when I test fit them in my BCM, although it (obviously) precludes you from slapping the bolt release when the second mag on the left side. You have to more deliberately press the release which is right next to the spine of the outer magazine. I just feel like coupled magazines add too much bulk to the weapon, expose the second magazine to dirt and possible damage, and aren't that practical for me personally. I also prefer the flat sides of the single, non-coupler mag, and I think if I use the coupled pair, I might shave off the coupler lugs(?) on the outsides of the two magazines, making dedicated left and right mags. I definitely don't see myself coupling 3 mags together, and I don't really care for the feel of the couplers on the outside of the mags when gripping them. Again though, I think these magazines are well-designed and seem very rugged, and I definitely like them as an alternative to Lancer's translucent mag. I'll probably order more of the plain mags after testing these. And if you want coupled mags, I think these are a great way to go.

Dave

Dave,
    There are many guys who don't like using couplers so I do understand that. I just wanted to chime in with a bit of info regarding what we see as the best way to use coupled mags. The first thing you probably noticed is that whichever side the "extra" mag is hanging on, it makes working the bolt release/mag release a bit more challenging. For this reason we feel the ideal function is to start with the extra mag on the left side of the gun. This would be done before any SHTF and you could easily take your time to release the bolt and chamber your first round. Then if you were making a high stress/tactical reload the right side mag release would be totally free making it easy to press. Then change the mags over, which now leaves your bolt release wide open to be slapped.

I think if you operate them like this, and practice a little bit you will find that there really is not much draw back and the reload is quite a bit faster than going from a pouch.

Thank you for trying out our mags. We really appreciate it and you guys taking the time to come back to this thread and give feedback.
    Last edited by ETSGroup; 10-08-14 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    These mags have already exceeded my expectations by a long shot. The spring thing was no biggie. Can't wait to shoot them.

Thanks for the compliment, that's music to our ears...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ETSGroup View Post
    For this reason we feel the ideal function is to start with the extra mag on the left side of the gun. This would be done before any SHTF and you could easily take your time to release the bolt and chamber your first round.
    Thanks for pointing that out - I did pick up on that while experimenting with them, but I forgot about that. That technique does make a lot of sense.

I think if you operate them like this, and practice a little bit you will find that there really is not much draw back and the reload is quite a bit faster than going from a pouch.
    I'm definitely going to give them a try and see how they work for me. I just wanted to give an initial impression from "dry handling" them (to coin a phrase?). I usually don't like to do that since everyone really wants to know how they faired in a real test at the range or preferably in a class, but this thread had been quiet for a while with little feedback from average folks, so I wanted to provide a little feedback. I'll follow up again when I have a chance to actually shoot with them, but it will be a while.

Dave

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have several sets of coupled mags. I definitely agree that you start with the right side mag in the gun.

That said I really don't run those mags at all. I leave coupled mags under the seat of the pick up, etc. In an emergency, a pair of coupled mags is a nice thing to grab... but I've somewhat gone away from them in my gun full time due to weight and bulk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out - I did pick up on that while experimenting with them, but I forgot about that. That technique does make a lot of sense.

I'm definitely going to give them a try and see how they work for me. I just wanted to give an initial impression from "dry handling" them (to coin a phrase?). I usually don't like to do that since everyone really wants to know how they faired in a real test at the range or preferably in a class, but this thread had been quiet for a while with little feedback from average folks, so I wanted to provide a little feedback. I'll follow up again when I have a chance to actually shoot with them, but it will be a while.

Dave
    Dave thanks for taking the time to provide your early feedback, even though you haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, it's valuable feedback.

I think the main thing to remember about and equipment that you might potentially use in a SHTF situation is to make sure you practice with it. Coupler or not, doesn't really matter as long as you have enough practice to not "fumble" when it counts.

Thanks again.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast