Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Squats

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you guys use kettle bell swings? I used to be into them a while ago, then just used them as a warm up, then my new gym didn't have any. My current gym has sets of competition bells up to 32kg. Been getting back into swings for warming up, and using them for ohp as an accessory to bb ohp.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yossarian42 View Post
    Do you guys use kettle bell swings? I used to be into them a while ago, then just used them as a warm up, then my new gym didn't have any. My current gym has sets of competition bells up to 32kg. Been getting back into swings for warming up, and using them for ohp as an accessory to bb ohp.

Yes, I think ours go up to 70#. We use them for KB swings of various types, 1 and 2 arm, and farmer carries.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get beastly and try double 55's. I love KB swings. Great posterior chain movement.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I've pretty much went exclusively kettlebell workouts for the past 4 months.

I really like it. Wanna be cock strong outside the gym that is where it's at.

Have an adjustable Ironmaster kettebell that I can go from 22.5 lbs to over 100 in as little as 2.5lb increments.

Try those Turkish get-ups.
    Last edited by Double3; 08-02-16 at 07:47.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    I've pretty much went exclusively kettlebell workouts for the past 4 months.

I really like it. Wanna be cock strong outside the gym that is where it's at.

Have an adjustable Ironmaster kettebell that I can go from 22.5 lbs to over 100 in as little as 2.5lb increments.

Try those Turkish get-ups.
    I remain unsure about KB's. I knew a guy who was a certified trainer, did a TON of KB stuff. I had never touched one in my life. I could move almost as much weight as him on several exercises, including get-ups, and I know he had better mastery of form. (this was several years ago). Of course, sample of 1 and all that, too, but it didn't impress me as an exclusive work-out plan.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I remain unsure about KB's. I knew a guy who was a certified trainer, did a TON of KB stuff. I had never touched one in my life. I could move almost as much weight as him on several exercises, including get-ups, and I know he had better mastery of form. (this was several years ago). Of course, sample of 1 and all that, too, but it didn't impress me as an exclusive work-out plan.
    Some people are naturally stronger than others.

I still plan on mixing it up but with more emphasis on KBs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Love turkish get ups. I used to be able to do a 90lb db turkish get up. Id like to get back into those.

As far as kb only workouts, i used to do that. Its a great tool, you can do a lot with them. Personally, i think swings and presses are the only worthwhile movements for kbs. I dont see the point of snatches as theyre rough on your wrists even if done right and you arent getting much out of it that you arent already getting from swings.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Love turkish get ups. I used to be able to do a 90lb db turkish get up. Id like to get back into those.

As far as kb only workouts, i used to do that. Its a great tool, you can do a lot with them. Personally, i think swings and presses are the only worthwhile movements for kbs. I dont see the point of snatches as theyre rough on your wrists even if done right and you arent getting much out of it that you arent already getting from swings.

I have not found 55-70# snatches to be hard on my wrists at all.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Im taking a break from heavy squats. Started a 20 rep squat program last week, using the ss yoke bar. Last week i went light 185x20,15. Legs are still sore from wednesday. This week ill probably go to 195 or 200x20,15. Gonna do 4 weeks leading up to 225. Then switch back to regular bar and experiment with the carry over from the high rep stuff. Last time i did this my regular back squat shot up a lot.

High rep Squat sets are killer!! I went with 50% of my Training Max for 4 sets, reps progressing from 16 first week, 18 second week, 20 third week.

Really helps you work on your form. It will be interesting to see how it works`when I go back to Medium intensity when this cut is over.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Personally, i think swings and presses are the only worthwhile movements for kbs.
    Try doing slasher to halos, overhead squats balancing the KB up-end overhead, and :30 isometric holds with KBs balanced overhead. All are great for improving range of motion and stability in your shoulders, as well as addressing muscular imbalances and improving coordination. I used them a ton in physical therapy after separating my shouder and have a few at home I try to use in each workout. I have two sessions of "chassis maintenance" per week and floss my joints, foam roll, and perform light isometric exercise and find lightweight kettlebells and change plates to be great for this role.

For getups, I've started doing them with a barbell to up the difficulty with balance. I have a 90lb sandbag I made with some old Army duffle bags that's a smokefest for getups. Honestly, if I could only have three things to workout, it'd be a 35lb kettlebell, that sandbag, and a pullup bar.

I treat my kettlebells like a tool in the toolbag. Lots of utility where your imagination is the limitation.
    Last edited by GTF425; 09-18-16 at 19:42.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516