Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth4lf View Post
    Good to hear! Was there a major component you changed to achieve depth other than bar position?

I just checked out a few of Ripptoe's viedos. I like how this one breaks down the geometry of the squat, can't say I've seen that done before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyN1...fCoHhToytvAboy
    dth4lf:

Get a copy of Mark's book Starting Strength. It has force diagrams for every lift he recommends.

Allen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth4lf View Post
    Good to hear! Was there a major component you changed to achieve depth other than bar position?

I just checked out a few of Ripptoe's viedos. I like how this one breaks down the geometry of the squat, can't say I've seen that done before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyN1...fCoHhToytvAboy
    I also was breathing wrong- I was exhaling on the ascent, instead of holding the breath all through the lift, which helps stabilize the torso (the Train Untamed vid in the OP pointed that one out). Other things I changed: thumbs above the bar, elbows pulled in, head looking more downwards, at spot about 8 feet ahead on the ground (I placed my bright yellow-green bike helmet there so my gaze would stay fixed on it).

This is the Rip vid I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9esuwd14kA

It's just him coaching several students through the lift, from bodyweight through full load, but I found it very informative to watch all the mistakes they made, and Rip's corrections. The vid in the OP shows both High and Low Bar squats, but Rip only coaches low... I for one could not have the bar that high and keep my balance- the angles are just all wrong for me.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Put heavy weight on shoulders and squat...add weight when needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hr00544 View Post
    Put heavy weight on shoulders and squat...add weight when needed.

In some ways I feel that you're right; it's possible to over think almost anything. It's important to buckle down and work hard.

On the other hand, I feel that many benefit from paying attention to basic squat form and ques. "Just lift" may be an oversimplification when we're dealing with an exercise or movement that may cause an injury, either chronic or acute, when performed incorrectly.

To me, that's kind of like saying "point gun down range, squeeze trigger, reload when necessary."

Feedback Score
    ^Ouch!

Here's how a world champ squats. Below parallel and doesn't bounce off the bottom.

In the end, both high-bar and low bar will get you strong. Just slightly different emphasis on things IMO.

It is interesting to note that the low bar is mostly used by powerlifting types to move more weight (just like the arched back & wide grip to reduce range of motion in the bench press) vs. olympic lifters using a more upright hi-bar to assist their speed/strength output in the competition lifts.
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 12-22-14 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Dmitry Klokov. That is all.

Feedback Score
    Bro, do you even Ilya Ilyin?

Sick bulk to make the 105 weight category lol.

Feedback Score
    This!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Dmitry Klokov. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    Bro, do you even Ilya Ilyin?

Sick bulk to make the 105 weight category lol.

I saw Ilya's lifts to win the 2014 world championship. The guy is amazing.

I really like Dimitry Klokov's stage presence, physique, and overall demeanor as a competitor though. He looks pretty lean for a guy who's lifting that kind of weight. Here's a clip of him from the 2011 world championship. 232kg on the clean and jerk, 10 kilos shy of the world record Ilya just set.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yea...... I can't do that.....

Nope nope.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast