Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Is it just me or is he doing some weird forward pelvis thrust at the top of the motion? I see people doing this in the gym from time to time and I don't get the logic. The first rep is never setup to include this motion, so why would all the subsequent ones?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    Imo stopping the descent suddenly and changing direction above parallel is terrible for your knees. Much better to squat ATG without abusing the stretch reflex too much.

Unless there is a specific condition with your knees or something, its probably a mobility issue. Stretching out your ankles and wearing olympic lifting shoes should help tremendously.

As someone who is trying to improve his squats by doing paused squats from the bottom, I feel that there IS a difference when going full range of motion. One could do a lot more weight with partial squats so they are more ego driven than ATG squats.

From a lot of the reading I've done, hip and ankle flexibility/mobility has a lot to do with your squat form and your ability to squat correctly without pain. Obviously, I'm sure there are special cases where pre-existing conditions could limit one's ability to squat deep or with relatively heavy weight.

One thing I've had to work through recently (and continue to work through) is foot position and making sure that my knees track in line with my feet, mainly the concentric portion of the movement. I've noticed I have the tendency to allow my knees to come in slightly on lower rep sets (<6 reps). I've had to consciously work on keeping my knees pushed out to maintain proper form. Additionally, I've supplemented that by adding abductor exercises to my routine.

When I first started squatting to depth it was uncomfortable for a while. I initially experienced some tenderness and discomfort in my knees and hips, I think largely due to the fact that they're rarely asked to bend that far especially with any significant amount of weight to bear.

As Allen pointed out in the video from the OP, on a day-to-day basis, most of us don't have to bend beyond 90 degrees at our hips or knees. We wake up, sit at the breakfast table, sit driving to work, sit at the office, sit at the dinner table when we get home, sit on the computer, etc. All of this while not forcing any of our hip or knee joints to bend beyond 90 degrees. On top of that, almost all of this under next to zero load.

I agree that squatting with a full range of motion will require you to lower your weight, at least initially. This fact alone is probably enough to discourage most guys at the gym from doing it, as you said, ego-driven training.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Is it just me or is he doing some weird forward pelvis thrust at the top of the motion? I see people doing this in the gym from time to time and I don't get the logic. The first rep is never setup to include this motion, so why would all the subsequent ones?
    Could be from clenching them cheeks. I do this for good mornings and deadlifts but not really for squats..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Friday is Squat day for me. Still having the same issue, still can't find the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    Unless there is a specific condition with your knees or something, its probably a mobility issue. Stretching out your ankles and wearing olympic lifting shoes should help tremendously.
    I do yoga regularly, so I'm not sure about that. In Downward Dog, I can usually get my heels to touch ground, so my ankles are not stiff.

I lift in bare feet.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth4lf View Post
    I agree that squatting with a full range of motion will require you to lower your weight, at least initially. This fact alone is probably enough to discourage most guys at the gym from doing it, as you said, ego-driven training.
    Even during the warm-up sets I'm not getting quite to parallel!

How if I ditched the weights and did bodyweight squats (or maybe just the bar) to practice getting lower? When exactly would I fit that into my sched? I lift Mon/Wed/Fri, and Friday is Squat day as I mentioned above.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I tried the 5lb plate under the heels trick and it has made a huge difference. I had issues with my body leaning forward at the bottom of my squat and that has eliminated it.
    Justin

Feedback Score
    Ditto on the mobility work. Ankles and calves cause a lot of squat issues. To narrow of a stance and not pushing your knees out cause a lot of issues too. Goblet squats are a great way to learn how to squat. I also like light to medium weight over head squats to help work on form and point out possibility mobility issues. A little rebound out of the bottom is okay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Friday is Squat day for me. Still having the same issue, still can't find the cause.

I do yoga regularly, so I'm not sure about that. In Downward Dog, I can usually get my heels to touch ground, so my ankles are not stiff.

I lift in bare feet.
    Try the olympic lifting shoes, does the same thing as small plates beneath your hells, so your ankles do not need to bend as much. My physical therapist said I have very flexible ankles, and the shoes still help.

Could be lots of things, super tight posterier chain, good morning-ing the weight, etc...

Take a 3/4 view form check video. Wear panty hose over your face if you must. :P

Feedback Score
    http://youtu.be/jzFgLf8CC1Y

Not sure if this is the correct video but Kelly Starrett is very good at helping you find and fix mobility issues. Weightlifting shoes will help but you should be able to get in a deep squat position with out them. I highly recommend you dig through his videos until you figure out where the mobility issue is. It could also be a sequence issue but sounds to me like mobility.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I see no point in squatting "atg". Breaking parallel is sufficient in my opinion....and most physical therapists will tell you the lower you go, the more sheer force you are placing on the knee.

The number one wrong thing I see people doing while squatting is not starting movement at the hips.

His lifting shoes are helping him get that deep also..

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast