Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Okay here are new pics from today, with bar 1" lower than the previous pic:

Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 04-18-15 at 08:29.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Definitely much better depth. I'd suggest working a box in set to that height so it's repeatable. Drop they safety bars another inch since you don't really want to deload the bar. Definitely work on upper back mobility to help you get the bar a little bit lower too imo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Definitely much better depth. I'd suggest working a box in set to that height so it's repeatable. Drop they safety bars another inch since you don't really want to deload the bar. Definitely work on upper back mobility to help you get the bar a little bit lower too imo.
    Thanks. I'm just tapping the safety bars during actual lifts so I can feel where I'm at in the descent, otherwise I know I'm not getting enough depth. I wrapped the bar protectors with foam; I can feel this at the bottom, so that's my signal i've gone far enough and can start the ascent, without making full contact with the bars.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    +1 on using a box to gauge depth if it's in question. It's a much more accurate gauge for adequate depth than setting safety bars since it will let you know where your hips are. A lot of guys have the tendency to round their backs and lean forward to "achieve depth." Squatting to a box will keep you from being that guy.

As for the pic, I would call that "parallel." It would be nice to get your hips a little lower to achieve that true below-parallel squat depth position if possible. I know we may be talking about a work in progress.

**Edit: after taking a closer look at the first pic, it would appear that the crease of your hip joint did in fact go below your knee cap, so that would be a below-parallel squat. Only cue I would add for that particular lift would be "chest up." Knees-out looks good in the second pic, as long as they don't come in on the way up.**
    Last edited by dth4lf; 07-09-15 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth4lf View Post
    Make sure to open up the hips and get those knees pushed out too. We don't want our arches to collapse or knees to begin caving in.
    Do you mean, my knees are not far enough apart?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Depending on your physiology maybe maybe not. Regardless you want to feel like your pushing out with your knees and spreading the floor apart with your feet when come out of the whole. In the pics you still look a bit tight in your hips but that's something that takes time to build mobility.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps this will help to add a visual element.

One other thing I'd like to point out: The distance that you'll need to drive your knees out is somewhat dependant on your foot position. If your feet are pointing nearly straight forward, or angled out only slightly (< 15*) you won't have to push your knees out as far to develop torque and stability in the hip. If you begin your squat with a toes-pointed-out stance, the amount that your knees will need to be pushed out to create torque and stability will increase as well.

JPMuscle made a good point; it's more important to feel like your knees are actively being pushed out. "Spread apart the earth beneath your feet" and "screw your feet into the ground" are great cues.

Feedback Score
    Great video that describes different body types and how it may affect the way you squat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av3L...ature=youtu.be

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I was wondering who puts a squat rack in their garage, but I saw you're in California Wes.

You would die doing that stuff here in Florida April-October. Literally die.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I was wondering who puts a squat rack in their garage, but I saw you're in California Wes.

You would die doing that stuff here in Florida April-October. Literally die.
    I've got one in my barn here in South Arkansas. After 3 sets I feel as if someone is suffocating me.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast